It's not just for your "pearly whites" anymore!!!!!
Winkgrin It's a pretty darn good stropping paste as well.......when applied sparingly to leather, it increases the friction when stropping and puts a "high polish" on steel when the tool comes off your hone...I checked google to find out what the main abrasives or grit sizes are, and aluminum oxide is one of them, but there are others. They have to be extremely fine to be used on your teeth.. Give it a try...you can clean the leather afterwards with a little alcohol...but be sure to apply toothpaste VERY sparingly....{I tested Pepsodent, but other brands are likely very similar}.... Remember."You'll wonder where the "feather edge" went, when you strop your tools with Pepsodent" AND..a "little dab'll do ya" !!!
Winkgrin This is a public service announcement...
Laugh

From google:
"Besides calcium carbonate, other types of abrasives in toothpaste include dehydrated silica gels, hydrated aluminum oxides, magnesium carbonate, phosphate salts and silicates. These abrasives are rough enough to get the plaque off, but gentle enough to avoid damage to your enamel."
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

"A little dab'll do ya" is actually the tag line for Brylcreem - which, with a mineral oil and beeswax base, might well make a good lubricant for moving parts on planes.

Quite a few people have, in the past, here and there, commented on the usefulness of toothpaste for fine polishing, so it certainly makes sense as a stropping paste.

But remember: floss your hand tools daily!

(06-09-2021, 02:50 PM)Bill_Houghton Wrote: "A little dab'll do ya" is actually the tag line for Brylcreem - which, with a mineral oil and beeswax base, might well make a good lubricant for moving parts on planes.

Quite a few people have, in the past, here and there, commented on the usefulness of toothpaste for fine polishing, so it certainly makes sense as a stropping paste.

But remember: floss your hand tools daily!
Right...I used to use Brylcreem when I was a chick magnet... but that ship has sailed.........
Sad
Rolleyes  
Laugh

BTW...Does this hat make my ears look big??
Confused

[Image: l-DVWr-hi-Qsm-XLAQUdh-CUdw.jpg]

Get off my lawn !
Upset

(06-09-2021, 03:01 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: I used to use Brylcreem when I was a chick magnet...
Toothpaste also makes a great polishing agent for hardware, saw plates, drains on sinks, faucets, brass, etc. Cheaper than a lot of other products out there.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill

(06-09-2021, 03:51 PM)AHill Wrote: Toothpaste also makes a great polishing agent for hardware, saw plates, drains on sinks, faucets, brass, etc.  Cheaper than a lot of other products out there.

and for taking the fog off the outside of car headlight covers/lenses.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
I first learned about toothpaste as a polishing agent when applied to yellowed headlight lenses on veicles/. It is cheap and available.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
Just a tip, Jack, make sure you never leave a tube of Preparation H in the med cabinet near the toothpaste tube.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com

(06-10-2021, 04:24 AM)Tony Z Wrote: Just a tip, Jack, make sure you never leave a tube of Preparation H in the med cabinet near the toothpaste tube.
Thanks for that, Tony.........and don't confuse Vicks Vapor Rub with KY..
Uhoh
Uhoh
Big Grin

Get off my lawn !
Upset

(06-10-2021, 04:24 AM)Tony Z Wrote: Just a tip, Jack, make sure you never leave a tube of Preparation H in the med cabinet near the toothpaste tube.

That's funny.  Years ago, my luggage didn't make it to my destination with my flight, so the airline provided me a courtesy toiletries kit.  In the kit was a very small container of deoderant, about the size of a Chapstick tube.  When I finally got home, I just threw all that stuff in my bathroom drawer and forgot about it...

...until my daughter asked is she could borrow some Chapstick...

...yes, it happened.  Deoderant flavored Chapstick.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Toothpaste...