I have a 14" Jet bandsaw with the stock blade guide set-up I was replacing the blade and noticed the bearing (for the back of the blade) on the lower guide system was not rotating freely.  Feels like it is gunked up pretty bad. 

1. Does anyone know if they are a common size that I can find at the local hardware store?

2. Should I just go ahead and upgrade the guide system, and what would be a good upgrade?

(06-11-2021, 10:40 AM)Scoony Wrote: I have a 14" Jet bandsaw with the stock blade guide set-up I was replacing the blade and noticed the bearing (for the back of the blade) on the lower guide system was not rotating freely.  Feels like it is gunked up pretty bad. 

1. Does anyone know if they are a common size that I can find at the local hardware store?

2. Should I just go ahead and upgrade the guide system, and what would be a good upgrade?

Likely it is a 6200 size.  10mm bore, 30 mm outside diameter, and 9mm thick.
A local hardware store is likely to have it.  Electric motor shops will also have them.  Order them on line and the shipping will likely be way more than the bearing.  Rubber sealed bearings usually last a little longer than those with only sheet metal shields.

For the saw you have, there are no "upgrades" that will result in significant sawing improvement.  The saw's teeth does the cutting.  The side and back guides just keeps things between the fences.

(06-11-2021, 02:27 PM)Bob Vaughan Wrote: Likely it is a 6200 size.  10mm bore, 30 mm outside diameter, and 9mm thick.
A local hardware store is likely to have it.  Electric motor shops will also have them.  Order them on line and the shipping will likely be way more than the bearing.  Rubber sealed bearings usually last a little longer than those with only sheet metal shields.

For the saw you have, there are no "upgrades" that will result in significant sawing improvement.  The saw's teeth does the cutting.  The side and back guides just keeps things between the fences.

Thanks.  I am happy with the way it performs so will stick with a simple besring replacement if wd-40 doesn’t free it up.
I have the same saw, have had the same problem! A bit of WD-40 free’d it up. I also installed “Cool Blocks”, and with a good blade, the saw is 100% better than stock.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com

(06-11-2021, 02:36 PM)Tony Z Wrote: I have the same saw, have had the same problem!  A bit of WD-40 free’d it up.  I also installed “Cool Blocks”, and with a good blade, the saw is 100% better than stock.

I already have the cool blocks.  Going to give the old wd-40 trick a go. Local hardware stores have a good selection of bits and pieces and hopefully will have the bearings

(06-11-2021, 07:27 PM)Scoony Wrote: I already have the cool blocks.  Going to give the old wd-40 trick a go. Local hardware stores have a good selection of bits and pieces and hopefully will have the bearings

At one time those bearings are the same as skateboard wheels. You could buy a tube of them for cheap and worked okay.
I have an 18" Jet and found a "frozen" bearing.  Found a local bearing supply and replaced all 6 bearings for less than $20.00 IIRC.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Jet Bandsaw blade guides?