Hi everyone have a friend of mine that wants to get into turning. What is a good mini lathe? Space is a premiums and what is a good set of turning tools.

Thanks Slav
"More the Knowledge Lesser the Ego, Lesser the Knowledge More the Ego..."   -Albert Einstein.

(07-18-2021, 10:40 PM)Slav Jelesijevich Wrote: Hi everyone have a friend of mine that wants to get into turning.  What is a good mini lathe?  Space is a premiums and what is a good set of turning tools.

Thanks Slav

Hi Slav,

I have a couple of the Jet 1014 mini-lathes. I got the first one used locally off of Craigslist and got the bed extension and stand here in SnS. It was my first dedicated lathe. I liked it enough that I bought a new one for my niece. For a mini-lathe, I prefer the speed adjustment by moving the belt rather than the electronic speed control. There is so much less to go wrong.

The 1014 is a discontinued model but they come up fairly often used.

Recommending a good set of turning tools is sort of like answering the question: "I want to start woodworking. What sort of saw do I need?"

If you friend is just wanting to do spindles (and they have a way to sharpen them), then something like:
- 5/8" or 3/4" roughing gouge
- 3/8" or 1/2" fingernail spindle gouge
- 3/4" or 1" skew (traditional, not oval)
- parting tool
is a good starting set. If they buy used, stick to high-speed steel. (It is just too easy to draw the temper of high-carbon steel when sharpening on a grinder.)

If they do not want to deal with sharpening, then carbide tools are the alternative. The Easy Wood tools in the starter or mid size work well.

The Oneway Wolverine sharpening jig or equivalent is popular, but many turners swear by free-hand sharpening (including the 40* advocates).

The local AAW clubs are starting to go back to live meetings. If there is one near your friend, then they would do well to go to a meeting or 2 before buying tools. Some clubs even have loaner lathes and tools to help new turners decide if turning is for them.

more info about what your friend wants to make (to start) should get you better answers.

Ivan
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(07-18-2021, 10:40 PM)Slav Jelesijevich Wrote: Hi everyone have a friend of mine that wants to get into turning. What is a good mini lathe? Space is a premiums and what is a good set of turning tools.

Thanks Slav

I suggest your friend find a turning club and at least go to a couple meetings before buying anything.
VH07V  
Wish someone had told me to find a turnning club.  Wish I had been smart enough to ask!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood

(07-19-2021, 07:34 AM)Bill Holt Wrote: Wish someone had told me to find a turnning club.  Wish I had been smart enough to ask!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill

Find a turning club to help you out.

Winkgrin
Winkgrin
Winkgrin
Winkgrin
Winkgrin
Winkgrin
Winkgrin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Jet 1014VS has worked for me, but it's out of production. The replacement is a JML-1015 VS. No experience with that model. A used 1014 would be a great choice. Personally, I valued the variable speed feature - easier to change speeds when running on a single pulley. You still need to swap the belt to a different pulley to get different speed ranges. The difference between a 1014 and 1015 is the distance between centers. A bit longer for the 1015.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Advice needed on lathe