I've come down to either a Lie Nielsen or Veritas router plane to add to my collection, but I just can't decide which one. The Nielsen is out of stock currently, but I don't mind waiting if that's the one I finally go with.

Any of y'all wanna make this decision even harder for me? I've never used a router plane so I have zero experience. I just know I want newer design.
Semper fi,
Brad

The LN closed throat large router plane seems to be in stock. The Open throat is the one out of stock.

The Veritas is in stock. One advantage of the Veritas is that it can be used open or closed throat. With the LN I think you have to choose one or the other. I have the Veritas and I use it open and closed, depending on what I need to do.

Cliff
‘The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence
Charles Bukowski
I have a Veritas large, a LN small and several vintage (both open and closed). I always seem to grab my vintage #71, why I don't know, except it was the one I learned on and it feels very natural.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com

No brainer here from a functional point of view: Veritas large and LN small.

Veritas - Many more choices for blades, both imp. & metric too (super important for some) and better fence, plus optional accessories for inlay work.

LN small - square post.

Simon
been using 2 Stanley No. 45s....a Type 4 for dados, and a type 20 ( Roxton Pond, QUE, CAN.)  for tasks that do not require spurs..

Type 4 even has them shiny BRASS bolts everyone loves....

Plenty of both on the auction site....YMMV...
Winkgrin
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that

(08-13-2021, 07:43 PM)bandit571 Wrote: been using 2 Stanley No. 45s....a Type 4 for dados, and a type 20 ( Roxton Pond, QUE, CAN.)  for tasks that do not require spurs..

The OP is looking for a router, not a plow or dado plane.

Anyway, I have had both LV and LN routers, and subsequently sold them on. I actually made a substantial profit in the process.
I have several 71½ and 71 routers, and find very little difference between vintage and new in terms of performance.

Like Tony Z (above) I often reached for my Stanleys even when I still owned the others.

All that said, I absolutely preferred the LV over the LN.

(08-14-2021, 05:50 PM)Joe Bailey Wrote: The OP is looking for a router, not a plow or dado plane.

Anyway, I have had both LV and LN routers, and subsequently sold them on. I actually made a substantial profit in the process.
I have several 71½ and 71 routers, and find very little difference between vintage and new in terms of performance.

Like Tony Z (above) I often reached for my Stanleys even when I still owned the others.
Cherry picking a reply, are we now...

My router is a Stanley No. 71-1/2, type 5   Even has a veritas 1/4" cutter in it...
[attachment=37133]
Hmm..THE Router plane..
[attachment=37134]
and... it has sole..
[attachment=37135]
All told, I have maybe $90 wrapped up in this...
[attachment=37136]
 It came with an OEM 1/2" cutter, too  so..
[attachment=37137]
Case is closed.
(08-13-2021, 03:43 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: I've come down to either a Lie Nielsen or Veritas router plane to add to my collection, but I just can't decide which one.  The Nielsen is out of stock currently, but I don't mind waiting if that's the one I finally go with.

Any of y'all wanna make this decision even harder for me?  I've never used a router plane so I have zero experience.  I just know I want newer design.

I've owned both; sold the LN once I got the Veritas, I liked the overall function of the Veritas better in terms of adjustment, but that's just personal preference because I lucked into it when I bought it with a bunch of other LV stuff.   You can't go wrong with either one.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
IT is a bit dusty...because it has been in a lot of use, lately...and yours?
Winkgrin
This discussion and others in other groups had me leaning towards the Veritas.

Thanks, fo1k!
Semper fi,
Brad

I'm torn on which router