My office shares space with exercise equipment.  We're going to do some rearranging to get that out and into another space.  Half the room has rubber mat flooring.  The other half (my office) is carpet.  the rubber flooring will go.  I'm thinking about carpet tiles to recarpet the entire room instead of having someone install carpeting.  I hate doing it and the few times I did it it looked like crap.  A quick look at HD shows mostly peel and stick carpet tiles.  I assume they don;t allow for any carpet padding under them.  Are there tiles that do?  I seem to recall several years ago tiles that sat in place that were backed by foam.

I did that to my home office about 15 years ago. Only worked in there ocasionally most of the time I was in the company office. At that time peel and stick anything was mostly junk. Might be much better now. The ones I installed had a thin cushion right on the tile. Worked out good. I could sit in the chair and roll around the room as I went from the computer to the printer to at that time the fax Held up good for the next 8 years I lived there. The glue I had to use at the time was spread on the floor with a small notched trowel and allowed to dry till no longer tacky. Layed the tile and then rolled it with a vinyl floorig roller. Glue was almost as expensive as the tile.
I put some down in my bedroom about a year ago and it looks good can't tell it is not roll carpet.  Got mine from Home Depot
There are carpet tiles that have a padded or “cushion” backing.  It’s the only kind I’ll specify or use. 

Problem is, they are only made by one mill and are a lot more money.  

Milliken is the manuf.
when I did my bedroom the squares were on sale and cost the same as carpet and pad with no installation

(09-03-2021, 06:00 AM)fixtureman Wrote: when I did my bedroom the squares were on sale and cost the same as carpet and pad with no installation

I need to price the carpet+pad+installation vs the tiles as a self install.    How comfortable are the tiles that are installed with no backing?   How soft is the floor?

The tiles have a foam back feels like the carpet in my living room  They were real easy to install as long as you make sure your arrows are pointed the same way.  they have a sight overlap at the seams
About 12 years ago I put them down in a rental.    They are still there.   I'm guessing they are still fine.   They never complained.
Matt

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.
-Jack Handy

Carpet Tiles