Hello all, my name is Jeremy.  I'm new to this forum as of this evening.  I've been turning for a few years now and I'm not really sure why I never looked for a forum like this.  Regardless, I'm here and am excited to look things over, learn and share.  I primarily turn game calls as I really enjoy spending the fall in the woods.  But I also turn other small projects, pens and the like.

I'm having a new longbow made and am looking to make a deer grunter that will match the woods in the bow.  I'm having a heck of a time finding black locust and/or fiddleback myrtle.  I've found a few places on the west coast that have myrtle, but the wood appears to be lacking the "fiddleback" part, lol.

Anyways, if anyone has a reliable source for those woods and is willing to share I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks again,

Jeremy

Welcome to the forum, tons of great knowledge here.
Jeremy,

Welcome to Woodnet.

Roughly, where are you located?

There is a wood supplier near Dulles Airport that caters to luthiers and to recreationists (wood components for tomahawks, flintlocks, and the like). I have gotten lots of nice wood there from their cutoff bins. Dunlap Woodcrafts (not sure whether there is an s on the end or not).

Hearne Hardwood has some wonderful figured lumber. I do not recall offhand is myrtle was among them.

If I remember correctly, the locust that I have from when a tornado came through this area is yellow locust.

There are some small operations like Two Tree Boyz that specialize in harvesting city/yard trees. One of them might be your best bet for myrtle (figured or otherwise). The lady who runs Two Tree Boyz is very helpful and nice.

I will stop there until I (or someone else) can try to recommend something close to you.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Welcome to the forum. Except for one or two, most of those here are very willing to help and share experiences and ideas. Well, one or two may be a stretch. More like five or ten. Or fifty to a hundred. But the two of us left will help in whatever way we can.
Uh, do you have a wagon?

GM
The only tool I have is a lathe.  Everything else is an accessory.

(09-08-2021, 06:49 AM)Grey Mountain Wrote: Welcome to the forum.  Except for one or two, most of those here are very willing to help and share experiences and ideas.  Well, one or two may be a stretch.  More like five or ten.  Or fifty to a hundred.  But the two of us left will help in whatever way we can.
Uh, do you have a wagon?

GM

Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh 

No way am I going to be the one to explain that question.
Laugh
Laugh
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
"...asking for a friend."

GM
The only tool I have is a lathe.  Everything else is an accessory.
Welcome to the forum. Try searching for "curly myrtle" instead of fiddleback myrtle. There are several sources. Northwest Timber is one. Not cheap!
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Also a welcome from me as well.

One thing I learned is google is your friend and then turning forums.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.