Hi:

This morning's find is an oddball.  Any ideas on ID?

Thanks
DM

[attachment=37662]

[attachment=37663]

Someone was trying to make that into a stair saw?   Used to be a No. 4?
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
What is the diameter of the medallion? That style could be anywhere from 1917 to 1955. The handle looks like a very worn No. 4. The hole pattern is consistent with a Distton No. 4, but the handle itself is either from another saw or it's been very worn. The saw itself has definitely been modified. The spine doesn't fit snugly into the handle. Makes me think its a franken-saw and that someone just used an old Disston medallion with sawnuts.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
The medallion is 13/16" 1930's or 40's.  And I think that Bandit had it right - someone cut up a #4.

Another $2 invested in my education.

Best 
DM

(09-14-2021, 10:07 AM)matzner Wrote: The medallion is 13/16" 1930's or 40's.  And I think that Bandit had it right - someone cut up a #4.

Another $2 invested in my education.

Best 
DM

Actually, remove the handle and spine, cut the front straight and trim the spine to match, clean it up and sharpen and return it to its intended purpose; worth the effort if the plate is otherwise straight and in good shape.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

(09-15-2021, 10:19 AM)Admiral Wrote: Actually, remove the handle and spine, cut the front straight and trim the spine to match, clean it up and sharpen and return it to its intended purpose; worth the effort if the plate is otherwise straight and in good shape.

That was kind of my thought - aside from looking a little stabby, looks like it's in ok shape as far as a useable saw.
Could be a cut up #4. If so, they married up a different sawplate, because the spine isn't fitting well inside the handle. The spine should be almost completely flush to the top of the handle.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Another Disston Saw ID request