I would like to build a rocking horse for a newborn and need some guidance from someone out there who has built one. What/whose plan did you use and were there adequate instructions> I wanted to make the one Marrc Spagnola did but I found the plans to be lacking.  I guess I need step by step directions plus the plans.  Any suggestions out there?  Thanks in advance.

Can't help with the plans, but it's my sincere hope that someone dusts off the epic Bob Z rocking horse thread from many years ago.  Not sure it would answer your question either, but it certainly would give everyone a reason for a good laugh (or 10).  One of the funniest things I have ever read and part of Woodnet legend.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

I too looked for good plans and found them overly complicated for the intended purpose.  Here's a shot off one I did that was simple, quick to make, very stable and easily disassembled when it was no longer used.  The only trick was to turn the hand hold so that the middle fit the hole very well.

[attachment=37706]

[attachment=37707]

[attachment=37708]

[attachment=37709]

[attachment=37710]
(09-14-2021, 03:26 PM)weelis Wrote: I would like to build a rocking horse for a newborn and need some guidance from someone out there who has built one. What/whose plan did you use and were there adequate instructions> I wanted to make the one Marrc Spagnola did but I found the plans to be lacking.  I guess I need step by step directions plus the plans.  Any suggestions out there?  Thanks in advance.

I built the "Playroom Palomino Rocking Horse" years ago for my neice from these plans:
https://www.woodstore.net/product-p/wp-t...line-index

Came out pretty much exactly like the picture and my niece loved it!

edit: here's a pic of the one I made:
[Image: JTw4Qfs.jpg]

[Image: OeV93Ac.jpg]
Woodsmith magazine has two different plans.  One is about a year old and there are plans from several years ago as well.  I made the original version out of red oak and since I have a few grandchildren, it is a piece of furniture in my family room.
Bob Vaughan , I really like your rocking horse…as adults, we tend to think that more detail is better, but sometimes less detail does more to stimulate a child’s imagination.

One day it could be a mighty steed going into battle, the next day it could be a magical snail for a fairy princess to ride, and the following day they could be wrangling the Loch Ness monster..
Smile
Dave Arbuckle was kind enough to create a Sketchup model of my WorkMate benchtop: http://www.arbolloco.com/sketchup/MauleSkinnerBenchtop.skp

(09-15-2021, 03:40 PM)MauleSkinner Wrote: Bob Vaughan , I really like your rocking horse…as adults, we tend to think that more detail is better, but sometimes less detail does more to stimulate a child’s imagination.

One day it could be a mighty steed going into battle, the next day it could be a magical snail for a fairy princess to ride, and the following day they could be wrangling the Loch Ness monster..
Smile

Thanks for the kind words.  Yes, I've found that too much detail makes an object scripted by adults.  Good kid toys:  Gravel driveway, cardboard boxes, and of course the king, a little creek.

That design was to accommodate a toddler walking on the platform and climbing on the seat with autonomy and safety.

(09-15-2021, 04:54 PM)Bob Vaughan Wrote: Thanks for the kind words.  Yes, I've found that too much detail makes an object scripted by adults.  Good kid toys:  Gravel driveway, cardboard boxes, and of course the king, a little creek.

That design was to accommodate a toddler walking on the platform and climbing on the seat with autonomy and safety.

I have seen nice rocking horses here in the past, but yours is the nicest that I have seen for younger children.

By any chance, do you have (or would you be willing to make) plans for the one that you made? The shape of the rockers and the dimensions would be a great start.

With your permission, I would like to make one for each of my niece's families.

Also, my apologies to the person who wanted a bump for Bob Z's rocking horse thread: I cannot find it. Perhaps someone has it archived.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Here’s a screenshot from Etsy of a plan from which I made the Rocking Horse last year from natural Blue Stained Pine. 
 Great build with nice full size paper templates, access to YouTube video to follow along build and excellent written directions also. 
 Easy enough to find on Etsy with Rocking Horse search . I can add if wanted a picture of my build tomorrow if desired.
What the Heck, Give it a Try
A classic plan with building instructions in the Free article:

https://www.shopsmith.com/other-domains/...t/mp_2.htm
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
rocking horse build ionstructions