14/3 wire to a post light in my yard was hacked up while gardening. Too much wire was cut to use butt splices (I tried). I then tried soldering in a splice with electrical solder using a soldering iron, but the splice wouldn't take. Cleaned the wires and tried again but with a butane torch and got the wires plenty hot. Again the spliced piece didn't take the solder. Any ideas? I'm not understanding why electrical solder won't hold. It worked fine on scrap wire.

They do sell a UF wire splice kit that has an inside terminal block and a giant piece of heat shrink to cover it. My electrician neighbor uses them quite a bit and recommends them. No soldering required.

My personal opinion, soldering is great for stranded wire (automotive applications), but less important for solid wire. A strong, well bonded connection is still critical.
Project Website  Adding new stuff all of the time.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gardner-Bend.../301734936
Thanks. I'm not sure how deep the wires need to extend into the splice connectors. Worst case, I need two of these. Even so it's a good fix. Much appreciated for the help!
Those splice kits work really well. We have numerous underground wires (previous owner) and I've cut into a couple of them...some of which are needed. The splice kit solved my problem. I now keep a spare just in case.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
"Thanks. I'm not sure how deep the wires need to extend into the splice connectors. Worst case, I need two of these. Even so it's a good fix. Much appreciated for the help!"

You might be able to get away with one, but you'd probably have to do the splice in the trench, which could be a pain. Just make sure that heat shrink gets shrunk well so it seals. A torch can make it brittle.

I didn't know such a product existed until my neighbor told me about them. It saved my bacon once as well.

(10-22-2021, 10:51 AM)lincmercguy Wrote: "Thanks. I'm not sure how deep the wires need to extend into the splice connectors. Worst case, I need two of these. Even so it's a good fix. Much appreciated for the help!"

You might be able to get away with one, but you'd probably have to do the splice in the trench, which could be a pain. Just make sure that heat shrink gets shrunk well so it seals. A torch can make it brittle.

I didn't know such a product existed until my neighbor told me about them. It saved my bacon once as well.

The ends of the wire almost touch.  See the line on the connector ?   Get two as if it is more than a touch short it will not be a good connection.    As far a soldering the wires must be cleaned to bright copper and I use additional flux on the joint.  Roly
Finally got to pick up the UF wire splice kit yesterday. The hardest part of the job was splitting the old romex to make the splice. The old romex is over 20 yrs old, rock hard, and brittle. The repair was otherwise quick and easy. Thanks for the suggestions. This forum is a great resource!
UF is hard to strip even when it's not hardened and brittle. I hate working with it.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Underground wire repair