As part of the gradual rationalising of my tools - the last episode being the building of an underbench cabinet - it was the turn of my saw till and backsaws. Actually, Lynndy is more astute - she just calls it as it is ... I promised to build a new outdoor table, and I am avoiding it ...

If you get down to it, joinery is what it is all about for me. Chiselling and sawing. The saw till is pretty much dedicated to joinery backsaws: rip dovetail, small and large crosscut, small and large tenon saws, and a mitrebox saw. I have a few dovetail saws. Some I made and some have sentimental attachments: a birthday present dovetail saw from Mike Wenzloff, another from Rob Lee and Lee Valley, my first new dovetail saw from Lie Nielsen, the forerunner from Independence Tools, another from my mate, Ian Wilkie. I use them all as they have different configurations and suit different woods. And then there are Japanese saws. A Nakaya dovetail dozuki is sublime. The whole Nakaya range is sublime.

This is my old saw till, taken probably about 10 years ago ...

[Image: 5-zps57ebe9ac.jpg]

Here is the new saw till, stripped and rebuilt ...

[Image: 1.jpg]

The triangular rests at the front pivot away ...

[Image: 2.jpg]

The rear of the till is home to Knew Concepts saws: 5" and 8" fretsaws and 5" coping saw. (The 8" fretsaw was the one that Lee Marshall sent to me, and we worked on together to eventually come up with the fretsaw line for woodworkers). Plus the Japanese saws: flush cutting, dozuki, ryoba, kataba and azebiki.

[Image: 3x.jpg]

Here is the completed till ...

[Image: 6x.jpg]

The Western saws sit in mortices ...

[Image: 7x.jpg]

[Image: 8x.jpg]

These were made this way ...

[Image: 12.jpg]

Lastly, there are drawers for all the saw stuff: files for sharpening, Stanley 42X and Eclipse 77 saw sets, and so on. Of course, the dovetailing was a fun part of this build.

[Image: 11.jpg]

Hopefully some ideas for you.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com

(10-24-2021, 10:57 AM)Derek Cohen Wrote: This is my old saw till, taken probably about 10 years ago ...

[Image: 5-zps57ebe9ac.jpg]

Here is the completed till ...

[Image: 6x.jpg]

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek

As always, your chosen layout is as impeccable as your execution.
Beauty work, eh!

Here's what I have in the basement....not released yet - uses Rare earth Magnet cups.

Was testing a variety of saws - which is why there is no Veritas saw!
Rob, how wonderful to see something of your shop!! I recognise some of the saws makes, and I recognise the chisels!
Smile

The rare earth magnets ..? Please say more. I was interested in using something along these lines at one point, but could not find anything appropriate.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com

(10-24-2021, 08:09 PM)Derek Cohen Wrote: Rob, how wonderful to see something of your shop!! I recognise some of the saws makes, and I recognise the chisels!
Smile

The rare earth magnets ..? Please say more. I was interested in using something along these lines at one point, but could not find anything appropriate.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Hi Derek - 

They are the right-angle magnet cups that we make. We wanted to make sure that the blade wasnt trapped in a slot - and at risk of getting kinked. Your solution also avoids this....

It would be just as easy to mount a magnet cup in a block - and fit that to your saw - but we are designing for an unknown assortment - so needed a generic solution. 

Yours is fabulous!

Cheers - 

Rob

Derek - 

A better view of the back wall.... and the sharpening station/storage unit....

Rob

(10-25-2021, 08:48 AM)Rob Lee Wrote: Derek - 

A better view of the back wall.... and the sharpening station/storage unit....

Rob

Nice looking clipboards, coach!
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
I do like the Mondrian-inspired tool rack, but you know Rob that it is your bench we all want to see!
Smile

Regards from Perth

Derek
Derek, Rob, that are some very sweet saws. When I look over it, too many of the maker stopped saw making early.
Mike Wenzlof, Andrew Lunn, Ed Paik, Klaus, too.

Derek, I like your drawers the most, and Rob, yours in your shop too! I love drawers to store tools.

Cheers
Pedder
double, please delete
New-old saw till