Question 
anyone turn either?  If so how does it turn?  Think easy for beginners, not likely to split out, no issues with a friction finish.  I teach a pen turning class at the local Woodcraft and picked up some of both.  I'll try turning one but sometimes what I have found easy have still split out for beginners.  I try to keep a decent selection of low problem blanks.
mark
Ignorance is bliss -- I'm very, very happy

(11-01-2021, 12:17 PM)oscarMadison Wrote: anyone turn either?  If so how does it turn?  Think easy for beginners, not likely to split out, no issues with a friction finish.  I teach a pen turning class at the local Woodcraft and picked up some of both.  I'll try turning one but sometimes what I have found easy have still split out for beginners.  I try to keep a decent selection of low problem blanks.

I have turned chakte vega.It is a very hard dense wood but it does turn well.Never had any issues with splitting.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
thanks. Looking for a little more variety so the students can get the pen they want.
mark
Ignorance is bliss -- I'm very, very happy
Granadilllo is called Mexican cocobolo rosewood and it turns the same as well but darker brown which cocobolo has more reds in it.

https://backunmusical.com/blogs/articles...grenadilla
It is always the right time, to do the right thing.

Hi, I'm Arlin's proud wife! His brain trma & meds-give memory probs and has pain from injuries, but all is well materially & financially.  
This is a Chakte Viga bowl I just finished this week. It turned nice with very little or no tear out with sharp tools. I left the rim a little thicker than I’d have liked, but the blank had some checks so I opted for thicker walls and bottom. The finish is a couple coats of briwax. It took the wax well and the finish is very smooth and has a great tactile feel.

[attachment=38873]
very nice. how big is that bowl?
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
chakte viga and grandidillo question