Question 
anyone turn either?  If so how does it turn?  Think easy for beginners, not likely to split out, no issues with a friction finish.  I teach a pen turning class at the local Woodcraft and picked up some of both.  I'll try turning one but sometimes what I have found easy have still split out for beginners.  I try to keep a decent selection of low problem blanks.
mark
Ignorance is bliss -- I'm very, very happy

(11-01-2021, 12:17 PM)oscarMadison Wrote: anyone turn either?  If so how does it turn?  Think easy for beginners, not likely to split out, no issues with a friction finish.  I teach a pen turning class at the local Woodcraft and picked up some of both.  I'll try turning one but sometimes what I have found easy have still split out for beginners.  I try to keep a decent selection of low problem blanks.

I have turned chakte vega.It is a very hard dense wood but it does turn well.Never had any issues with splitting.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
thanks. Looking for a little more variety so the students can get the pen they want.
mark
Ignorance is bliss -- I'm very, very happy
Granadilllo is called Mexican cocobolo rosewood and it turns the same as well but darker brown which cocobolo has more reds in it.

https://backunmusical.com/blogs/articles...grenadilla
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
This is a Chakte Viga bowl I just finished this week. It turned nice with very little or no tear out with sharp tools. I left the rim a little thicker than I’d have liked, but the blank had some checks so I opted for thicker walls and bottom. The finish is a couple coats of briwax. It took the wax well and the finish is very smooth and has a great tactile feel.

very nice. how big is that bowl?
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
chakte viga and grandidillo question