Hi,

So I'm re-shingling the roof on our shed I build 15+ yrs ago.  I accidentally bought architectural shingles vs the 3-tab ones that were on there.  Oh well.  Not wanting to returned the shingles and loose some daylight (this was yesterday, so it started getting darker earlier), I decided to use what I had.  I've got 1 more course before the ridge.  The roof on the back of the shed is longer and shallower.

How do you shingle the peak?  (please don't say "Well, read the package."  That would make too much sense.)  I don't think I can simply cut the "tabs" off a few course and lay them up and over the peak.  Don't think that would look right.  What's the trick?  

(I'm fearful that the response will be "go buy the architectural peak shingles for this purpose).

Thanks!

Attached Files Image(s)

Dumber than I appear

Hmmm....it looks like Lowes has ridge cap shingles: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Owens-Corning-P...es/3657752
Dumber than I appear

(11-08-2021, 08:53 AM)Dumb_Polack Wrote: Hmmm....it looks like Lowes has ridge cap shingles: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Owens-Corning-P...es/3657752

They sell matching ridge shingles for most types of architectural shingles.
WoodNET... the new safespace
(11-08-2021, 08:53 AM)Dumb_Polack Wrote: Hmmm....it looks like Lowes has ridge cap shingles: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Owens-Corning-P...es/3657752

THIS
[Image: usa-flag-waving-united-states-of-america...if-clr.gif]
We just used the architectural shingles
We always used 3 tab shingles the same color for the peaks.

(11-08-2021, 01:04 PM)DieselDennis Wrote: We always used 3 tab shingles the same color for the peaks.

that is what I've done.
(11-08-2021, 08:51 AM)Dumb_Polack Wrote: Hi,

So I'm re-shingling the roof on our shed I build 15+ yrs ago.  I accidentally bought architectural shingles vs the 3-tab ones that were on there.  Oh well.  Not wanting to returned the shingles and loose some daylight (this was yesterday, so it started getting darker earlier), I decided to use what I had.  I've got 1 more course before the ridge.  The roof on the back of the shed is longer and shallower.

How do you shingle the peak?  (please don't say "Well, read the package."  That would make too much sense.)  I don't think I can simply cut the "tabs" off a few course and lay them up and over the peak.  Don't think that would look right.  What's the trick?  

(I'm fearful that the response will be "go buy the architectural peak shingles for this purpose).

Thanks!

I have done it both ways mentioned already...the premade ridge shingles that they sell to use with the architectural shingles, or buy matching color 3 tab ones and cut your own. Both worked out well.
You know....I'm so cheap I'm tempted to cut the tabs off the old 3-tab ones (the architectural ones are the same color), and re-use them.

But....no one's THAT cheap....are they??? 
Smile
Dumber than I appear

(11-09-2021, 07:41 AM)Dumb_Polack Wrote: You know....I'm so cheap I'm tempted to cut the tabs off the old 3-tab ones (the architectural ones are the same color), and re-use them.

But....no one's THAT cheap....are they??? 
Smile

The ridge shingles are made to break apart into thirds cleanly.  They have straight edges and are flexible just for forming over your ridge.  they also have a full strip of adhesive just where its needed. The grit is new and not worn off like a used shingle and there are no damage from used three tabs. You probably only need a bundle.   If you're that cheap its nothing to brag about.
WoodNET... the new safespace
How do you shingle the peak with architectural shingles?