Alrighty, another one for the collective:

I've been looking around at some stuff on turning/bow/frame saws, and I've seen a few references that indicated that back saws were mostly an English/American thing, with the rest of Europe aka 'continentals' using frame saws, even for finer work such as dove tails.

I know I've seen videos showcasing Frank Klaus doing that, back in the day, and I think I've seen Paul Sellers doing something similar... but if the rest of Europe stuck with frame saws, it sure seems like there'd be more content out there showing that.  But for some reason I'm not finding much, if any.

Did the continentals all come over to the Dark Side of the back saw?  Or do they just not make videos over there?
Wink

(11-18-2021, 02:11 PM)nuk Wrote: Alrighty, another one for the collective:

I've been looking around at some stuff on turning/bow/frame saws, and I've seen a few references that indicated that back saws were mostly an English/American thing, with the rest of Europe aka 'continentals' using frame saws, even for finer work such as dove tails.

I know I've seen videos showcasing Frank Klaus doing that, back in the day, and I think I've seen Paul Sellers doing something similar... but if the rest of Europe stuck with frame saws, it sure seems like there'd be more content out there showing that.  But for some reason I'm not finding much, if any.

Did the continentals all come over to the Dark Side of the back saw?  Or do they just not make videos over there?
Wink
 Tage Frid used this saw, too.  Check out his three-book series from the early 1980’s.

(11-18-2021, 08:51 PM)Bruce Haugen Wrote:  Tage Frid used this saw, too.  Check out his three-book series from the early 1980’s.

Thanks, I'll look for that one... but I was mainly looking for more current/contemporary 'content'.  Printed or digital, either way.

(11-18-2021, 09:03 PM)nuk Wrote: Thanks, I'll look for that one... but I was mainly looking for more current/contemporary 'content'.  Printed or digital, either way.

In the grand scheme of woodworking, somebody who worked in the 20th century then retired and passed away in the 21st (d. 2004 Frid) is pretty contemporary.
Many older German woodworker (Schreiner or Tischler) are proud to learned sawing dovetails with the Schlitzsäge. The Schlitzsäge is a big frame saw with 70cm  (27.5") long blade toothed 5mm (about 5 TPI). Think about what you want. Japanese saws are the most used by german Schreiner & Tischler.

Cheers
Pedder
Hmmm, maybe I should give this a try...?
[attachment=38849]
9ppi, 18" blade...do you think it might be too much saw?
[attachment=38850]
Tension at the top is by a threaded rod with a wing nut..
[attachment=38851]

We'll see....
Winkgrin
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Maybe so... but the relative dearth of any new content in say, the last five to ten years, makes me wonder if the technique has gone the way of the dodo. Either that, or non-English videos just don't show up in my YT feed... I have found some stuff from the southeast Asia region, where apparently frame saws were fairly traditional as well.
Look for a series:  Traditional Chinese Woodworking....GE HONG.

That is where I learned to make the frame saw I have.
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
I asked in the German forum, but until now nobody knows a video.
Again, I don't think it is the current technique.

For drawers Gents Saws allways would have been the saw to go.

Cheers
Pedder
I asked on the german forum woodworking.de and the only link was to a video from a dutch chairmaker Caspar Labarre https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPnukoIEHjc
Two members confirmed, they learned it at their formal apprenticeship, though. One guy still does dovetails that way.

Cheers
Pedder
Dovetails with frame saw