Hi,
I am not a pro and just recently started enthusiast, but I like power tools, own quite a few including Dewalt 12.5 planer. What I am thinking is do I need a jointer and whether 6 or 8 inch would be appropriate.
Of course I read and watched a lot and mostly I see either "no jointer is too wide" and the opposites like "just use table saw and jigs, planer and jigs, etc, etc". I also saw "start with jointer and then planner a piece" and the opposites like "use planner with jig to get first surface flat, then plane the other one". I must say seems that all opinions are valid, some would prefer to use jointer, others will stay away with pretty solid results. My personal need is to reno a house and not ask contractors for help. This will include furniture, cabinets, stairs. Probably a diner table (not chairs). Granted this is a big undertaking but I am not in a hurry and like I said - I like power tools and have used quite a few good ones. So most likely I would join cabinet door frames, table top and legs, stair steps, maybe bed frame, etc. Nothing really big.
As far as jointer option I m considering Wahuda because of nice spiral head. It isn't helical, but isn't straight cutters either. Still not sure if jointer is really a must or just means for streamlined and performant work versus slower use of other tools like planer, table saw and jigs. Of course $400-550 range is a difference between 6 and 8 inch and avoiding it altogether is desirable.

Thanks
Nikolay

If you are planning to create with rough lumber, than a jointer is essential. Lots of great furniture has been made on 6" jointers and there is no shame in starting with this size. No matter what size jointer you have (I happen to have a 16" jointer) there will always come a time when a little larger jointer will be desired: but it is never a necessity. I started off with a 6" Jet and it was fabulous. I see very serviceable 6" jointers on CL all the time in my area: that is where I would look.
What Philip said except get an 8" (or larger) if you find a used one at a price that is attractive to you. If the tables are flat and the fence is straight there's not much that can't be fixed on a jointer. There's not a whole lot to go wrong either.

Gary
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone

(12-08-2021, 05:55 PM)shoottmx Wrote: What Philip said except get an 8" (or larger) if you find a used one at a price that is attractive to you. If the tables are flat and the fence is straight there's not much that can't be fixed on a jointer. There's not a whole lot to go wrong either.

Gary

I'll agree with Gary and Phillip.  Get a jointer and get on with woodworking.  You can do a lot more on an 8" jointer than you can a 6", but a 6" jointer beats the heck out of no jointer.
Learn how to set straight knives.  Its no more tedious than setting up a hand plane.  A hand plane's blade is 2" wide (or so).  A 6" jointer has 18" total length of knife to set.  It will take you nine times longer to set the knives in a 6" jointer than it will a single 2" cutter in a hand plane.  Yes, use a dial indicator to see where the knives are in relation to the outfeed table.
Used 8" jointer are scare around here, but still some decent six inch ones. If you're budget conscious, a 6" straight knifed jointer will work. I'm still using the Delta I bought 15 years ago.

You can joint wider boards on a 6", but it takes more time. Basically, I joint the board in one pass, then I have a piece of MDF that I use as a temporary table in the planer. The jointed portion of the board rides on the MDF through the planer. I've done up to 10" wide like this. I have a board attached at 90deg to the MDF that hooks onto the infeed table to keep it from being pulled through.

I really like spiral heads in planers, but I'm not convinced they're necessary for jointers. I've only changed knives a couple of times over the years. A spiral cutter makes a better surface, but it goes through the planer after anyway. I still may consider it when I upgrade to an 8". We'll see what's available.

If I were in your shoes and on a budget, I would buy a used 6" jointer. If it's not so much of a concern and you'd rather "buy once, cry once", go for an 8" with the spiral head.
Project Website  Adding new stuff all of the time.

You said you like power tools and that you want to rehab a house.  That makes it pretty obvious that you need a jointer.  There are always work arounds but having the right tool for the job is far better.  My advice is to buy used; you said you like power tools so you must be comfortable with fixing them.  And I'll agree with others who said you don't need a spiral or segmented head.  I would take a wider, straight knife jointer over a narrower one with a segmented or spiral head any day.  An 8" (or wider) would be far better than anything narrower, but any jointer is better than none. 

Buy used whenever possible is my moto.  Keep your eyes open on FB, CList, Ebay, etc. and be ready to pounce when you see a machine that meets your needs at a fair price. 

John
Hmm, incredible! All in unison and thanks for really prompt responses - I didn't expect this fast.
Ok, I got it that I had it wrong, will look if CHI area has anything to offer used, currently nothing good on CL.

Thanks a lot!
It isn't wrong to have a jointer esp if you have the space and skills to use it (a lot dont know how to flatten a twisted board on a jointer!). But this furniture maker has not used a jointer (sold over 15 years ago) and handles mostly rough lumber.

You already pointed out the use of a planer and a jig (sled) as an option which can handle boards up to 13" wide or so. Most jointers are 6" or 8".

Either way, you can build small and big furniture pieces.

Edit: A planer either works or not. If not, you send it in for repairs. A jointer? A different animal that if it's off, be prepared to know how to get the cutter, outfeed table, infeed table and fence all in alignment. Not a straightforward task if your secondhand machine isn't spot on to start with.

Simon
(12-09-2021, 12:45 AM)nkarasev Wrote: Hmm, incredible! All in unison and thanks for really prompt responses - I didn't expect this fast.
Ok, I got it that I had it wrong, will look if CHI area has anything to offer used, currently nothing good on CL.

Thanks a lot!

I'll take the opposite position.  I don't think you "must" have a jointer to do good work and get started in your woodworking journey.  It was a number of years before I obtained a jointer.  And like you, I also had a planer before I had a jointer.  I used other methods to do the jointing task.  Using alternate methods taught me more about wood and its characteristics.

Having a jointer does do those jointing tasks faster and easier.  I do have a 6" jointer now and will be upgrading to an 8" jointer in the next week or so.  I'll give my 6" jointer to my son-in-law.

I do agree with the others that if you can find one, an 8" jointer is better than a 6" jointer.

Good luck, and let us know how your search goes.
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")
"Using alternate methods taught me more about wood and its characteristics" - it is a good point and I am sensing that I will go through rounds of using planer and jointer before I get this working right
Smile
Thanks,
P.S. whatever my search will end in - I know it will be 8" as I am "buy once, cry once" kind of person
Have planer, do I need jointer and what size?