When I read my fractional, dial caliper, graduated in1/64 of an inch, it might read 1/64 and a little bit, like 2/3 the way to 2/64. I call it 1/64 and 2/3
How would a digital fractional caliper read this measurement?
Thanks. Sorry if a digital caliper is considered a power tool!
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer

(12-16-2021, 10:45 PM)Pirate Wrote: When I read my fractional, dial caliper, graduated in1/64 of an inch, it might read 1/64 and a little bit, like 2/3 the way to 2/64. I call it 1/64 and 2/3

I am sorry, I do not know.  I do have one or more digital calipers that can read in fractions, but I usually only use the decimal and convert to the nearest 64th through math.  That allows me to choose which 64th to use if the reading falls between.
Paul
They were right, I SHOULDN'T have tried it at home!
If it is a relative measurement, I will do the same thing: comparing two parts to make sure they are identical, each be X + some fraction of a 64th. We know that 1/64 is roughly .015 so at times this number pops into my head when dealing with fractions of a 64th. For absolute measurement, I go to the dial caliper graduated in 1000'ths, but that is very rare, for WW at least, unless we are talking machine setup. I use the Starrett fractional dial caliper and it is almost never not on my bench.

[Image: 2ZUE6_2?hei=536&wid=536&%24adapimg%24=]
(12-16-2021, 10:45 PM)Pirate Wrote: When I read my fractional, dial caliper, graduated in1/64 of an inch, it might read 1/64 and a little bit, like 2/3 the way to 2/64. I call it 1/64 and 2/3

1/64" divided by 3 times 2 =0.0104166666666667"    It would probably read it as 0.105"   Roly

My iGaging digital caliper will read in 128ths.  The situation you describe will be read as 3/128ths.

If I'm working to that kind of tolerance, I'll be working in thousandths and use the caliper in decimal mode instead of fractional.
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")
Being more than the average in terms of shaky hands and general clumsiness, I just assume that numbers less than 1/64" are in the error zone. Takes multiple measurements, all with the same result, for me to believe the number. YMWV
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
I often use a fractional dial caliper. Actually I love it.

If I use a digital, most of the time its in metric, sometimes in decimal inches, but NEVER in fractions the 128th's drive me nuts.

In ww'ing all measurements are relative. :-D

If it is reading the full 1/64" + 2/3 of the way to the 2/64" (aka 1/32) ...

Then you have to figure you are looking for 64ths broken down into 3's ...

1 inch would then be broken down into 192nds (64 * 3 = 192) ...

Your 1/64" is 3/192nds and the 2/3ds of the next 64th is another 2/192nds = 5/192nds or 0.0260"
I've tried a digital a few times and I don't like them. With a fractional dial caliper I don't have to think as much, and you know how much thinking hurts!
I like the dial fractional caliper.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
Fractional digital caliper question