I use a 55 gal drum to collect the dust below the Oneida Super Dust Deputy. I would like to put a heavy duty trash can liner in the drum. How would you secure the liner in the drum so it would not get sucked up into the cyclone? The top of the liner would be secured by the lid on the drum.
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor

My cyclone has a cylinder with a bunch of holes that sits just inside the catch can to help the bag keep its form. It seems to work and I think you could make one to fit. Maybe take another drum and cut it to allow overlap to decrease the diameter and cut it a bit shorter.

Just make sure you know what was in that drum before you make any sparks cutting it.
Big Grin
Project Website  Adding new stuff all of the time.
I also used a liner (on the Oneida cardboard drum) as lmg described. Here's some pics. I have to say, I'm not sure how easy this would be on a 55 gal. drum, it was a little bit of a fight to get it out of the smaller Oneida (35 Gal) drum....but it's still effective. The alternative is to set up some kind of port on the bottom of the drum and pipe to the collector...this has the effect of sucking the bag down (equalizing pressure on both sides of the bag I guess).
[attachment=39599]
[attachment=39600]
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Oneida makes a can liner specifically for that purpose.

Cliff
‘The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence
Charles Bukowski
I use the fiber bin that it came with (15 gallon) and I have to imagine that a 55 gallon bag full of chips and dust will be extremely unwieldy. The 15 gallon isn't too bad, but nearly four times that will be hard to wrangle as you'll need a particularly heavyweight bag to handle that without stretching or ripping.
Don't use the top of the drum to capture the top of the bag - that causes problems. Use a separate lightweight can inside the drum to hold the bag, and just fold the bag over its rim. I use a clothespin to attach the bag to the bottom of the inner can, but even that's not needed if the bag has a handful of sawdust to start.

(12-31-2021, 12:40 AM)Alan S Wrote: Don't use the top of the drum to capture the top of the bag - that causes problems.  Use a separate lightweight can inside the drum to hold the bag, and just fold the bag over its rim.  I use a clothespin to attach the bag to the bottom of the inner can, but even that's not needed if the bag has a handful of sawdust to start.

What kind of problems? I use Oneida bags + liner/bag holder to weigh down the bag, but I have always let the excess come out of the drum. I have had no trouble clamping the lid. I am curious, what issues have you had?
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site

(12-31-2021, 01:13 AM)Aram Wrote: What kind of problems? I use Oneida bags + liner/bag holder to weigh down the bag, but I have always let the excess come out of the drum. I have had no trouble clamping the lid. I am curious, what issues have you had?

I had same problems when folding the liner over the rim of the barrel: air leaks. I called Oneida and they cautioned me to simply fold the excess liner on itself and keep it inside the barrel. I have done that and have had no more air leak issues. I do use their white plastic drum liner thing and it gets the job done.
Is there something different with a cyclone system? The waste side of my bagger system is always pressurized and could never suck anything up.
Proud maker of large quantities of sawdust......oh, and the occasional project!
With a cyclone, the dust bin is on the suction side of the blower, so any bag in that bin (when empty) will quickly get sucked out and might even jam the impeller if it's not secured somehow.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
How To secure dust catcher liner?