My DC is built from disparate parts. The one thing it's missing is a removable bag under the cartridge filter to catch things that get past the cyclone.

The filter is currently mounted such that it's held in place with all thread, sandwiched between two pieces of plywood with weather stripping to keep it sealed.

I'm thinking about maybe building up a short column from plywood that is attached to the bottom piece, and using a strap clamp to hold the bag in place.

Does that make sense? Any better ideas?
Semper fi,
Brad

I don't have anything like that under my filter. I did build a plywood box that has a hole with a removable cover, but it is for clean outs if I ever fill the filter with dust (and I did once). I should add, my filters actually are supported by this box, it sits on a shelf.

Here's a pic that almost captures it, this was cropped from one of the whole unit.
[attachment=39831]
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I used a gamma seal lid to attach a five gallon bucket to a piece of plywood.

As seen in the photos.

Bill
Ooopss....sorry.

This was meant for another thread about keeping bags inside dust collector bins.
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")
OK, so this was my intended post when I had the brain cramp (above).

I reconfigured my DC 6-7 months ago and relocated it under a semi-enclosed area under the stairs in my shop.  It shortened the runs significantly and also made DC operation much quieter.

I eliminated the "catch bag" under the filter.  I had read that DC systems using a cyclone separator upstream of the impeller really don't need a catch bag.  

Yesterday, I ran my drum sander for nearly two hours; it's the first significant use of the tool and I wondered how the new DC setup performed.  I figured that the Wynn filter would be getting pretty hairy with fine dust.  Since the reconfig, I have emptied the bin under the cyclone twice.   I have not examined the Wynn filter since the reconfig.  Here's what I found:

First, a pic of the system in its running setup.

[attachment=39867]

When I pulled the bin, I found most of the fine dust in the bin, which surprised me.  This is after the two hour session with the drum sander.

[attachment=39868]

Looking in the filter, I found some larger shavings from previous when I let the bin get a bit full, but not enough to start jamming the cyclone.

[attachment=39869]

I used compressed air to blow out the filter from the outside.  Here's what I removed from the inside of the pleated filter.

[attachment=39870]

What I found was that the cyclone was reasonably efficient at separating drum sander dust before it headed to the pleated filter.  The sanding session was with an 80 grit abrasive.  It will be interesting to see how the pleated filter fares at finer grits.

With my setup, I don't see a need for a catch bag under the pleated filter.
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")

(01-10-2022, 11:37 AM)R Clark Wrote: OK, so this was my intended post when I had the brain cramp (above).

I reconfigured my DC 6-7 months ago and relocated it under a semi-enclosed area under the stairs in my shop.  It shortened the runs significantly and also made DC operation much quieter.

With my setup, I don't see a need for a catch bag under the pleated filter.

Thanks for the pics and the details. I like your set up a lot, but believe long term, a bag under the filter would collect whatever passed the cyclone and provide an easy cleanout without removing the filter.
(01-10-2022, 02:10 PM)taxman Wrote: Thanks for the pics and the details. I like your set up a lot, but believe long term, a bag under the filter would collect whatever passed the cyclone and provide an easy cleanout without removing the filter.

Removal of the entire filter is not required; I opted to in this case because I wanted to easily inspect the interior of the filter.  The bottom cap of the filter is the original cap supplied by Wynne when I bought the filter.  The four screw clamps allow it to be dropped without taking down the filter.

Agree with what you say, but the area next to the DC setup is tight, and a bag underneath the filter would need to be removed every time I empty the bin.
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")
Thanks for the pics and suggestions, folks. I have something to work with now!
Semper fi,
Brad

(01-14-2022, 12:46 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: Thanks for the pics and suggestions, folks.  I have something to work with now!

I have the Gamma Thread, too. Works great. Except when it backs up my 30 gallon drum from the Super Dust Deputy, then the Homer bucket below the Gamma gets full.
Can you please point me to the thread where there was discussion about using a plastic bag in the barrel (I am assuming under a cyclone?).

I would really like to use a plastic bag in the barrel if I knew it would not get sucked up and into the impeller.

Thanks.
Steve
Help with dust collector filter...catch?