I have a new-to-me Supermax 19-38.  The previous owner included about 15 rolls of various grits.  About half are new/unopened.  Others have some light use on them.  

There was only one 80 grit roll; that roll was on the machine and it is has some pitch build up.  I'm trying to clean it, but I still need to get some more 80 grit.

I'd like to buy a long roll and cut them for the drum sander as I need them.

Klingspor supplies Supermax-packaged abrasives, but the Klingspor web site is difficult to navigate unless you know exactly what to look for.

What are others using for bulk rolls of abrasive?
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")

Mirka..........................

Ed
Any reason not to get the pre-cut ones? The 80 grit that came on my 16-32 seems barely broken in. I'm sure the cost is slightly more, but these sanders seem to go pretty easy on the paper.
Project Website  Adding new stuff all of the time.

My machine takes 4" wide abrasive.  This stuff from Amazon has worked well.  FWIW, I tried Klingspore and was surprised how poorly it performed.  It slagged up very easily wore out faster than I would have expected.  

John
(01-09-2022, 07:05 PM)lincmercguy Wrote: Any reason not to get the pre-cut ones? The 80 grit that came on my 16-32 seems barely broken in. I'm sure the cost is slightly more, but these sanders seem to go pretty easy on the paper.

At ~$12-13 per roll, the precut Klingspor as sold by Supermax is very expensive.  I see some 50FT rolls for about half price, or perhaps even less.  Of course, it all depends on performance.  

I'm pretty conscious of abrasive performance on machines.  I try to keep them clean as I go.  I bought one of those crepe sticks for mt Ridgid spindle/belt sander when it was new about 15 years ago.  I've used it, and it was about 1/3rd gone last week.  I used half of the remainder yesterday.  I put three of the crepe sticks in my Amazon cart today.

(01-09-2022, 07:48 PM)jteneyck Wrote: My machine takes 4" wide abrasive.  This stuff from Amazon has worked well.  FWIW, I tried Klingspore and was surprised how poorly it performed.  It slagged up very easily wore out faster than I would have expected.  

John

Thanks for the link, John.
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")

(01-09-2022, 09:06 PM)R Clark Wrote: At ~$12-13 per roll, the precut Klingspor as sold by Supermax is very expensive.  I see some 50FT rolls for about half price, or perhaps even less.  Of course, it all depends on performance.  

Yeah, the larger ones are more expensive.  The ones for my 16-32 are only $9/ea, so I'm more open to buying the pre-cut ones.
Project Website  Adding new stuff all of the time.
(01-09-2022, 06:52 PM)EdL Wrote: Mirka..........................

Ed

Do you have a link, Ed?  I'm willing to look, and I went out to the Mirka site, but like Klingspor's site, finding what you want sure isn't easy.

I can find Mirka H&L and PSA rolls.  But regular cloth backed abrasive rolls, not so much.  Guess I don't know how to search the sites of those European brands.
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")
Industrial Abrasives

3" x35' rolls
4" x 25yds rolls

Awesome company and good stuff if you are willing to cut your own. Industrial Abrasives is my go-to for all my sandpaper and have been for years. Again, I buy the Rhino Grip H&L for my ROS (including Festool hole pattern), the sleeves for my oscillating drum sander, the belts for my stationary belt sander and this stuff for my wide drum sander. They used to have LONG rolls of the 3", IIRC 50 yds, but I don't see those listed anymore.
2023-2024 NFL Pick 'em
Group ID#: 34296
Group Password IBTP

(01-10-2022, 09:34 AM)Lumber Yard® Wrote: Industrial Abrasives

3" x35' rolls
4" x 25yds rolls

Awesome company and good stuff if you are willing to cut your own. Industrial Abrasives is my go-to for all my sandpaper and have been for years...

What he said. You can also contact them and they'll cut custom sizes/lengths. IIRC, some guys here reached out to them to make new conveyor bed sleeves as well for their drum sanders and was very reasonable.
Has any one tried Online Industrial Supply?
prices look good

https://www.onlineindustrialsupply.com/3indrsaro.html
Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop
Drum Sander Abrasives