I have a nice pair of wooden screws that would work great in a Moxon vise. However they came without any threaded blocks. They are 1 1/8 inch in diameter and it looks like 5 threads to the inch. Very regular so I'm pretty sure they were cut with a die. Any thoughts on where a guy might find a tap for such a screw or anyone who might make a tap for them. Thanks.
I was young and dumb once. It took me a whole lot less time to get over being young.

(01-15-2022, 03:06 AM)mart Wrote: I have a nice pair of wooden screws that would work great in a Moxon vise. However they came without any threaded blocks. They are 1 1/8 inch in diameter and it looks like 5 threads to the inch. Very regular so I'm pretty sure they were cut with a die. Any thoughts on where a guy might find a tap for such a screw or anyone who might make a tap for them. Thanks.

Dieter Schmidt offers a set that makes a 28 mm screw and nut with 4.5 threads per inch. Rather expensive. You may be able to buy a Chinese set also, but it would be discouraging to buy something that didn't quite fit.

Paul Peters (Acer Ferrous Woodworks) could make nuts for your screws. 

I think the easiest and possibly the cheapest would be to start over and just buy some new screws with nuts.
Thanks. They’re really nice old screws. I emailed Acer Ferrous about them. They were in some stuff my Dad f found for me when he was hitting all the auctions back in Northern NY. I carried a huge old maple leg vise screw and block back to Alaska in my suitcase. Wonder what TSA thought I’d that. He was always finding cool old stuff and either sending it to me or holding it until my next visit.
I was young and dumb once. It took me a whole lot less time to get over being young.
You could probably make nuts for those wooden screws most readily by carving them by hand. Clamp two pieces of wood together, drill at the join, separate.

Mark from the screw where each thread begins and ends, and connect with a straight paper edge fit into the curve. Use a V-tool to carve, checking the fit to the screw as you go. The challenge is to fit the two halves together in register. Fit the two around the screw together, and make sure it works, then mark for alignment before gluing.

You'll probably be surprised that it's easier than you expected.

There are other approaches if you can attach a shaft with a cutter to an existing screw to use it to tap a hole. A temporary nut can be a clearance hole with three wedges poking into it and fitting into the threads of the screw. You tap the hole by unscrewing the screw from the temporary nut, pulling the shaft and its cutter. Make several passes, advancing the cutter a bit deeper each time.
Alan,

I’ve considered both approaches and may end up doing one or both. I’ll wait to hear back from Acer Ferrous. I sent them some pictures and measurements.
(01-15-2022, 03:06 AM)mart Wrote: I have a nice pair of wooden screws that would work great in a Moxon vise. However they came without any threaded blocks. They are 1 1/8 inch in diameter and it looks like 5 threads to the inch. Very regular so I'm pretty sure they were cut with a die. Any thoughts on where a guy might find a tap for such a screw or anyone who might make a tap for them. Thanks.

video showing how to make a threaded nut as was described in Alan's reply to your post.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BxH2xRHjwg
I have the complete set of Beall wood threading kit but it does not have the 1 1/8 but 1 1/4 and 1 1/2.

https://bealltool.com/products/threading/threader.php

The system is a breeze to use and works great
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Not sure if the threads are the same, but McMaster-Carr sells a rather pricey tap in that size ... Link

... Never mind, it is for acme threads.

I didn't catch that when I posted and it won't let me delete.
https://www.bealltool.com/products/threa...eaders.php

Check this unit. A friend had it and thought it was very flexible.
Thanks guys. I have the Beall for a 1 1/2' screw. I may order some more sizes.
Wooden screw taps