For my own edification, I'm trying to understand how my house is constructed.  What is this roof/attic construction called?

We want to begin working with an architect for a remodel.  It's a split level, but the portion I'm interested in is the single-story ranch section in the middle.  Almost undoubtedly the wall sections between the kitchen and LR/DR are load-bearing.  There's a crawl space below, but I do remember piers running the length under those walls.

Built in 1986.  Not sure if it matters, but the inspector thought it could be a premanufactured house.

The living/dining room area has a flat 8' high ceiling.  The kitchen has a sloped ceiling.  (Also just noticed the appraiser drew the garage door swinging in to the wrong side)

[attachment=40299]

[attachment=40300]

[attachment=40301]

I don't have better pictures of the attic.  Ignore the insulation.  That's been addressed.

This is the attic space over the kitchen:

[attachment=40302]

And over the LR/DR:

[attachment=40303]

Thanks,
Paul

I can't be sure from the pictures, but I am leaning strongly towards agreeing with the inspector who sugested manufactured home. I have seen a lot of manufactured home around here that do their ceilings that way. Makes the room seem bigger and adds a diferent visual aspect. Sorry no real help on your question.
lookin at the trusses on the vaulted side, looks like the top cord has a hinge point so the roof can be lowered for transporting down the road.

what kind of width do you have on the wall going down the middle of the house? on a modular/manufactured, they can be around 8" wide walls there.

(01-30-2022, 04:22 PM)tomsteve Wrote: lookin at the trusses on the vaulted side, looks like the top cord has a hinge point so the roof can be lowered for transporting down the road.

what kind of width do you have on the wall going down the middle of the house? on a modular/manufactured, they can be around 8" wide walls there.

Interesting.  I'm going to have to look that up about the hinge point, etc.

If you trust the appraiser's drawing, the middle wall is about 20' long, and the wall to the right is about 10'.  We're not at the house right now so I can't take a real measurement.

We aren't looking to blow out those walls to make it open concept, but want to rearrange the location of the openings from one side to the other (and other things).  Looks like this should be doable.
You have what is called a "Studio Vault Truss".

Usually a manufactured/modular home will have a long, double thickness wall down the middle, supporting the center of the truss line. Often times the trusses will be hinged or field connected in the middle. Often times, I don't realize I'm inspecting a modular home till I gt in the attic and see the trusses.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(01-31-2022, 09:13 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: You have what is called a "Studio Vault Truss".

Thank you!  I learned something new today.

After I learned here that trusses could pivot to make transportation easier, I went down a YouTube rabbit hole.  I even think I was able to explain it to my wife.

(01-31-2022, 12:19 PM)atgcpaul Wrote: Thank you!  I learned something new today.

After I learned here that trusses could pivot to make transportation easier, I went down a YouTube rabbit hole.  I even think I was able to explain it to my wife.

Most trusses are manufactured locally. They're kind of cheap so long distance shipping inflates the price too much to be competitive. But when you are shipping individual rooms for manufactured homes, they can just fold them in half  (hinged truss) and stick them in a room. Makes them more cost effective.

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(01-31-2022, 06:52 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: Most trusses are manufactured locally. They're kind of cheap so long distance shipping inflates the price too much to be competitive. But when you are shipping individual rooms for manufactured homes, they can just fold them in half  (hinged truss) and stick them in a room. Makes them more cost effective.

Now I'm wondering, would there be an obvious "Made by X Company" sticker or stamp somewhere on these manufactured homes?  Maybe it is on the truss somewhere as they wouldn't be completely covered up unlike sheathing would.

(01-31-2022, 08:35 PM)atgcpaul Wrote: Now I'm wondering, would there be an obvious "Made by X Company" sticker or stamp somewhere on these manufactured homes?  

modulars should have some sort of tag stating the codes they were built to. possibly in a mechanical room.
(01-31-2022, 08:35 PM)atgcpaul Wrote: Now I'm wondering, would there be an obvious "Made by X Company" sticker or stamp somewhere on these manufactured homes?  Maybe it is on the truss somewhere as they wouldn't be completely covered up unlike sheathing would.

The only thing I have ever seen is engineering stickers/tags on the trusses themselves. You may be able to look at the records at the county, that might have that info for your house. It is incumbent on the truss manufacturer to provide drawings and certifications on the trusses themselves. This way the county inspector can just compare the drawing to the truss and make sure the stamp on the truss has the same ID# as the drawings. The county isn't going to verify engineering. They just verify the engineering was actually done by the truss manufacture.

These are the trusses for our addition (Scissor Trusses). See the white tag on the lower right side? That's the engineering info tag. The drawings are in the house so the inspector can look at both.

[Image: oCu4Fy8.jpg]

... Kizar Sosay

What type of roof structure is this?