I had a need today to use a square shank tapered drill bit in my cordless drill.  I have a 18" long 5/8" diameter drill bit  that I wanted to use to enlarge a 3/8" hole in a turning.  I ended up using a brace to turn it, but it would have been much easier with a power drill.  

I was tempted to saw off the square shank, but I don't like to do things like that, and that wouldn't have been reversible.

Has anybody ever seen something like that?  

Thanks

I have not seen adapters, but I do know that you can get auger bits made for electric drills.
https://www.irwin.com/tools/drill-bits/p...auger-bits

(02-11-2022, 10:27 AM)Willyou Wrote: I have not seen adapters, but I do know that you can get auger bits made for electric drills.
https://www.irwin.com/tools/drill-bits/p...auger-bits

I'm pretty sure I have one of those in the garage, but I didn't think of it, I will give it a try.

The drill bit was a twist bit so I doubt it would heat up too bad, and I already had a pilot hole.

This cylinder was 20" long and I'm not 25 any more.  I did use a "brace" to drill it, but it gave me a workout (yes I needed one).

I've got about 4 twist drills with a square shank end in various sizes.  Picked them up at garage sales.  I was making something for a neighbor who works part time in a boot factory.  Very small production, and he knew I had a wood lathe and asked if I could make a couple forms for him.  I really don't understand the use, but he gave me a sample, and dimensions and He is a great guy so why not help him.  Plus he said I would get paid, which wasn't a requirement, but there are always expenses.
What about this; https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Socket-...4083&psc=1
If  you are talking about brace bits, then why not just get a brace to go with them?  Most I would believe would have a problem with being spun at a higher speed than intended.
(02-10-2022, 09:32 PM)toolmiser Wrote: I had a need today to use a square shank tapered drill bit in my cordless drill.  I have a 18" long 5/8" diameter drill bit  that I wanted to use to enlarge a 3/8" hole in a turning.  I ended up using a brace to turn it, but it would have been much easier with a power drill.  

I was tempted to saw off the square shank, but I don't like to do things like that, and that wouldn't have been reversible.

Has anybody ever seen something like that?  

Thanks

Look up Stanley #180 auger bit extension.    No longer made to my knowledge but they will accept a tapered square shank bit.   They were 18" long.   The old cracked one I have had the male square end cut off and welded to a piece of drill rod for more length and had flats ground on it for electric drill. I have no idea where I got it or when.   They are still on ebay.  Roly
I've used one of these with some success.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
I have a set of these they also come in smaller sets from 1/8" up to 5/8s 25" long bit set for cheep
Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop

(02-13-2022, 10:50 AM)Woodshop Wrote: I have a set of these they also come in smaller sets from 1/8" up to 5/8s 25" long bit set for cheep

That may be the answer.  For the little bit that I would use them these would probably be ok.  I have some smaller diameter bits of decent quality that I use most of the time, and they work in a collet so I can use them on my lathe.  

Thanks for the tip.

(02-13-2022, 10:26 PM)toolmiser Wrote: That may be the answer.  For the little bit that I would use them these would probably be ok.  I have some smaller diameter bits of decent quality that I use most of the time, and they work in a collet so I can use them on my lathe.  

Thanks for the tip.

yes they work ok for wood especially in your situation, don't think I would try them on steel.  I use them in a drill chuck on my lathe. HF also sells 1/2"drill chuck with #2 taper that's what I use.
Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop
source for adapter to use power drill on square shank tapered drill bits