Current situation: Metal roof incorrectly applied 17 years ago: 1x4 untreated purlins applied over shingles have rotted. Roofer says condensation under the metal has caused the wood to rot.

So far I've gotten one quote, that is to strip the roof to the decking, apply barrier and reattach metal directly to decking. ($17,000). Estimated 3000SF. I think I got an "I don't want to do it" price?

After some thought I'm abandoning the idea of re-using the metal and going back to shingles. We had the roof painted a couple years ago and going forward it looks like that would be necessary to keep it looking good.

I am pretty ignorant about brands of shingles other than some brief researching it seems GAF and Certainteed are high rankers. I've been told architectural last longer and look better.

So I'm looking for info on what are good brands, so when I get quotes I have something to go by or know what to ask for.

I'm 66 and I would like to not have to do this again in my lifetime.

We did our roof in 2018, using GAF Timberline... an architectural shingle.

We had GAF Weatherwatch ice and water shield installed for the first 9 feet.

It used to be code here for the first 3 feet, then they chanced it to the first 6 feet. This is to prevent ice dams.

Above the 9 foot mark, they installed GAF Tiger Paw roof deck protection.

At the ridge line, we had GAF Snow Country ridge vent installed. It was the best offered.

The owner of the company told us that with that combination of GAF products, there was a 50 year warantee.

Now, realistically, neither he nor I will be here 50 years from now, but I bought the best available.

Oh.... and an important point.... the new shingles have either cooper or zinc imbedded in them,

to combat and reduce unsightly streaking and moss growth.

But even with that, I had them install zinc strips on my barn, because the old roof was heavily streaked and mossy.

https://www.gaf.com/en-us/roofing-produc...lsrc=aw.ds
[Image: usa-flag-waving-united-states-of-america...if-clr.gif]
In my area the cost of stripping 1-2 layers of asphalt to the roof deck, installing 3-6' ice water, and "good" quality shingles was about $500/ square pre-covid.. Some will add for ridge vents and other penetrations, but most include new drip, rake, and step flashing. Exposed fastener roofing panels cost a little more than shingles, but because the install is faster, the installed cost is about the same. 

I think anything less than $600/ sq. is more than fair and reasonable for an established Roofing Contractor with good references. (You're at $567/sq..) Now if they're re-installing the same sheet metal; $17k is too high.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
definitely not an expert but had mine done in September.  Around here your estimate would be on the higher end but still within reason.  Yours is close to my high bid, close to same size.  It wouldn't be considered a "don't want to do it price"  I went with architectural shingles for durability not for appearance although I think they do look better.  I did notice one thing with architectural shingles, the pitch seems to have a big affect on the appearance.  My house roof has a higher pitch then my garage.  On my garage (newer 3-tab roof then the house) going from 3 tab to architectural improved the looks but it wasn't "Wow".  The house looks significantly better then the 3-tab.

Around here metal roofs run more.  You might ask that company if they would mind giving you a quote on shingles and see if it is more in line with what you are expecting.
mark
Ignorance is bliss -- I'm very, very happy
I live in NW WI, we did our roof in 2020 we have a  Hip roof Rambler/Ranch with attached 2 car garage and a L shape addition. Estimate was $11,500 for materials and Labor GAF Architectural Shingles . I had enough Shingles to do the back Half in GAF Architectural Shingles that I had stored when we did the roof 20 yrs ago.  Dropped the price $650.  The roof was 20 years old and close to the end of life, we did it because we installed Solar. The estimate might have been higher than some cheaper contractors, but they were able to do it right away, before Our Solar Install. Dan
(02-16-2022, 09:11 AM)rwe2156 Wrote: Current situation:  Metal roof incorrectly applied 17 years ago:  1x4 untreated purlins applied over shingles have rotted.  Roofer says condensation under the metal has caused the wood to rot.

So far I've gotten one quote, that is to strip the roof to the decking, apply barrier and reattach metal directly to decking. ($17,000).  Estimated 3000SF.  I think I got an "I don't want to do it" price?

After some thought I'm abandoning the idea of re-using the metal and going back to shingles. We had the roof painted a couple years ago and going forward it looks like that would be necessary to keep it looking good.

I am pretty ignorant about brands of shingles other than some brief researching it seems GAF and Certainteed are high rankers.  I've been told architectural last longer and look better.

So I'm looking for info on what are good brands, so when I get quotes I have something to go by or know what to ask for. 

I'm 66 and I would like to not have to do this again in my lifetime.

3000 sq ft, $17,000 ?

That sounds about right for a new, low end asphalt roof. Tear off and install new asphalt shingles. Maybe on the low side for 3000sq ft. My thinking is closer to 25G for a better shingle.

So to re-install the metal, that doesn't really sound too bad.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(02-17-2022, 07:01 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: 3000 sq ft, $17,000 ?

That sounds about right for a new, low end asphalt roof. Tear off and install new asphalt shingles. Maybe on the low side for 3000sq ft. My thinking is closer to 25G for a better shingle.

Thanks for all the replies. I got another quote for going back with shingles.

GAF HDZ arch shingles ~$16K. I think this is where we're going. He is a certified contractor if that matters.

We've never like the fading and oxidizing of the metal, already had painted ($4000).

Hopefully it will be the last roof we have to do, if it lasts 30 years I'll be 96 or dead.

Interesting about roof pitch. Mine is just under 5/12. The other shingle roof we had always look terrible with black milder or mold. Every couple years we would bleach it.

And I can either sell the metal or scrap it. 3' ribbed metal is going for almost $6/foot here!!
(02-17-2022, 07:01 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: 3000 sq ft, $17,000 ?

Holy Carp.  In that case I am glad that in 20 years of homeownership and 4 houses so far I have managed to dodge replacing a roof.

Crokett everthing is crazy right now. 17 years ago we put the metal roof on for $9000. As of today 3' ribbed metal is going for almost $6/ft!!!

I have a couple contractor friends, one won't even start a new house anymore, all he does is remodels and additions. The other give quotes only good for 15 days. He said he spends more time refiguring quotes than checking jobs.

In my area right now its $350-500 a square to roof a house depending on the shingles. They are paying guys $25-30/hr and hoping they don't to to another company for a buck an hour more.

$65,000 for a pickup? $4.69 for 6 stinking English muffins? When is it going to end????
(02-17-2022, 05:59 PM)rwe2156 Wrote: Crokett everthing is crazy right now.  17 years ago we put the metal roof on for $9000.  As of today 3' ribbed metal is going for almost $6/ft!!!

I have a couple contractor friends, one won't even start a new house anymore, all he does is remodels and additions.  The other give quotes only good for 15 days.  He said he spends more time refiguring quotes than checking jobs.

In my area right now its $350-500 a square to roof a house depending on the shingles.  They are paying guys $25-30/hr and hoping they don't to to another company for a buck an hour more.

$65,000 for a pickup? $4.69 for 6 stinking English muffins? When is it going to end????

The other day I had a guy changing a bath door unit to a 3/0. I told him to pick up three 2 x 4 x 8's on the way in; $27.00 +tax! The 3/0 x 6/8 6 P.P. split jamb with 2-1/2" col. casing was $256 and I was lucky to find one in stock vs. 6-8 weeks.

Most Roofing Contractors have their favorite lines of shingles. A Lot of the time it's because they are on a reward program with the manufacturer. I only install IKO Cambridge. No rewards, it's just been a great product for me. IKO offers two "better" (i.e. more expensive) lines; The Performance, which is basically a thicker Cambridge with more glue, and the Designer which is new style I'm not familiar with. The Marathon is Traditional 3-tab (which is often used as caps too.)
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
I need a roof!