I've been thinking about a 1 inch belt sander for my shop, every now and then I come across a use where I think one may come in handy. I currently have an old Delta 4X36 with a 6 inch disc. I rarely use the belt and never use the disc. So those who do have a one inch sander, how useful are they and do they get enough use to justify the bench space? Typically I build small to medium furniture pieces, jigs, gifts, cool things, etc.

Let me know your experience.
Thanks,
Brian

Picked up a 2"x42" vertical belt sander at Sears ( last thing of quality I found there)

I use it a lot on both metal and wood.  I've used 1" sanders at work and didn't like them near as much as I do my 2".

Big question is how well made is the sander?  Cheap ones can be extremely aggravating.
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
There have been a few times that I'd like to have a 1" belt sander.  Like Wild Turkey, it would be for both metal and wood.

I almost considered getting the Harbor Freight cheapie, but didn't as it didn't look like one of their "diamonds in the rough" when I saw it.

I've got the itch again; I happened across a knife-making build along on YouTube last night and a narrow belt sander sure would be nice for that.
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")

(03-13-2022, 06:31 AM)R Clark Wrote: There have been a few times that I'd like to have a 1" belt sander.  Like Wild Turkey, it would be for both metal and wood.

I almost considered getting the Harbor Freight cheapie, but didn't as it didn't look like one of their "diamonds in the rough" when I saw it.

I've got the itch again; I happened across a knife-making build along on YouTube last night and a narrow belt sander sure would be nice for that.

It is the best bargain in the store IMO..You cannot kill it!!! Check Youtube for more info.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Most all the narrow belt sanders I ran across were noisy and shaky regardless of price except for the Burr King.  That one is nice.
So before I'd heard of Burr King, I saw samples of the rest and decided to make one.  That was in 1988 and I still use it to this day.  Its smooth and quiet.  If you can't make one, maybe you know some woodworkers in your neighborhood that can make one for you.

[attachment=41227]

[attachment=41228]
(03-12-2022, 08:46 PM)BC in CT Wrote: I've been thinking about a 1 inch belt sander for my shop, every now and then I come across a use where I think one may come in handy.  I currently have an old Delta 4X36 with a 6 inch disc. I rarely use the belt and never use the disc.  So those who do have a one inch sander, how useful are they and do they get enough use to justify the bench space?  Typically I build small to medium furniture pieces, jigs, gifts, cool things, etc.

Thanks,
Brian

I've had one for 30 years.  Probably used it 10 times... but 10 times it was the best tool for the job.  Don't know that I'd buy one today, but I'm glad I have it.
I have a 42 inch craftsman and I use it quite often. I have found that I prefer 80 to 120 get belts. The finer belts then tend to burn for me quicker than not.. Also 42 used to be the size to have, but 42 inch belts are becoming harder to fine and 30 inch belts seem to be more stock everywhere.  I can't help you with your decision making as whether or not you should get one. 

Tom
(03-12-2022, 08:46 PM)BC in CT Wrote: I've been thinking about a 1 inch belt sander for my shop, every now and then I come across a use where I think one may come in handy.  I currently have an old Delta 4X36 with a 6 inch disc. I rarely use the belt and never use the disc.  So those who do have a one inch sander, how useful are they and do they get enough use to justify the bench space?  Typically I build small to medium furniture pieces, jigs, gifts, cool things, etc.

Thanks,
Brian
IMO, they are perfect for what you build...and the HF one is noisy but gets the job done..Be sure to check Youtube to see how they can be improved easily....Here's a shot of the last one I made.

[Image: Np8-Nb-t6-Qe-Gf-SHo-MRPa-W7g.jpg]

Here's a 42" grinder I bought last year from Lee Valley..I have five one inchers altogether.

[Image: M4e1yhu-MTACe-FY3hv-GWeng.jpg]

Here's a modification you can easily do to greatly improve the Harbor Freight el cheapo grinder.....turn the sound off or it will make you crazy...
Upset

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3KuS8K37YA
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

If you get lucky, you might be able to find a used Shopsmith 1" belt sander with a power station to drive it.

If it has all of the parts, there is a flat platen, a convex platen, and it has the ability to sand inside surfaces. You can take the belt off and then thread it back into place though the opening. The "return" side of the belt is inside of the opening instead of running in the column.

If you only find the SS sander, building a base with a drive motor is pretty straight-forward.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Thanks for all the ideas, some interesting stuff.

Yeah I saw a number of YouTube vids of some of the mods guys do to the HF sander. They tear them down, completely rebuild them, new paint jobs, etc., etc., it's crazy. For some of these guys I think that's their hobby, hot rodding 1 inch belt sanders.
One Inch Belt Sander