I use a shooting board fairly often to tune mitered parts length and angles.  I built a couple of shooting boards over the years, and they have worked fine, but neither can do any angle from 90 to less than 45 degrees, or on both sides.  I don't see any commercial offering with that capability either.  At best you have to buy or build at least two shooting boards, one for the right side and another for the left.  So I put some thought and my CNC into building a simple shooting board that can do all those things.  This is the result.  

[Image: AM-JKLXXc064ojE4YGHuyZBbvYS1TJdhF5ofWAAc...authuser=1]

The board has overall dimensions of 15 by 20", and the top table width is 10".  It is made from PlumaPly, a plywood core with a layer of HDF on both faces.  The hardwood stop pivots from 90 to less than 45 degrees yet the end of the stop stays in perfect registration with the edge of the top table and, therefore, the blade of the plane so the workpiece is always fully supported.  

[Image: AM-JKLXQbEbYNQYdYarITAN4VxmzBwJiJ2HsVr3A...authuser=1]

[Image: AM-JKLXjFOW2cRsxFuAohqt1V3xlL4sCJ-1tq66b...authuser=1]

The pivot mechanism is easily moved from the right to the left side of the stop allowing angles to be cut on both sides.  

[Image: AM-JKLV5BZT5VpfYpH5RATsXyoKz56BeaEyes751...authuser=1]

[Image: AM-JKLVrCRKfFe9Vil6rwydlzlJJk2Nxms83FEz5...authuser=1]

[Image: AM-JKLW2fh61KYq6gxGbwy9ypf-wYHRoN6YJYNRl...authuser=1]

[Image: AM-JKLXY_E7tE07stcUqOtM0LgG2ouSzhfP5puAJ...authuser=1]

There is a stop on the bottom of the board to fit against your bench or in a vise, as I have it here.  

[Image: AM-JKLXsE25eV4KPpr9dGL2ZbtO1IM9D7DFdDPhp...authuser=1]

I'm offering these for $175, including shipping.  If you'd like to buy one please send me a PM or an email to jteneyck54@live.com

Thanks,

John

I will buy two in the future one for planes and one for the tablesaw or bandsaw.

It looks well made for sure.  Do you make a  version for the tablesaw?
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.

(04-05-2022, 02:31 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: I will buy two in the future one for planes and one for the tablesaw or bandsaw.

It looks well made for sure.  Do you make a  version for the tablesaw?

Hi Arlin.  Good to hear from you.  I have been playing around with a miter sled design for the tablesaw, and may have something to offer this Summer.  If you have any specific ideas that you'd like to see incorporated, please let me know.  Thanks.  John

(04-05-2022, 08:43 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Hi Arlin.  Good to hear from you.  I have been playing around with a miter sled design for the tablesaw, and may have something to offer this Summer.  If you have any specific ideas that you'd like to see incorporated, please let me know.  Thanks.  John

John.

If you think that you have the patience for it, you might start a thread in Woodworking or in Power Tools about the features that WNers would like to see in a miter sled.

Ivan
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Great idea John. Look like you're enjoying your CNC!
Amazing work John as always.

If someone here sent a message to me in Messenger, somehow I lost it.  Please try again or send me an email to jteneyck54@live.com.  I don't lose those as easily.  Thanks.

John
Just thinking here John but a grove to put a stop in it on top of the fence for repeat cuts that can be moved back and forth
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.

(04-07-2022, 10:29 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Just thinking here John but a grove to put a stop in it on top of the fence for repeat cuts that can be moved back and forth

I'm not sure how that would work with a shooting board Arlin.  You only take off a sliver with each swipe of the plane.  Can you explain what you have in mind?  Thanks.

John

(04-08-2022, 11:56 AM)jteneyck Wrote: I'm not sure how that would work with a shooting board Arlin.  You only take off a sliver with each swipe of the plane.  Can you explain what you have in mind?  Thanks.

John

Probably not what Arlin had in mind, but...

They have fallen out of fashion, but some turners used to use a duplicator jig that went by lots of different names. The most common name was probably "semaphore jig." I learned it as "tilting angels" or "falling angels" and "tilting fingers" was fairly common.

I had trouble finding a good picture, but here are a couple of references:
https://books.google.com/books?id=m9gDAA...or&f=false

https://books.google.com/books?id=1vkDAA...ig&f=false

If you had a track on the top of the fence, then one could adjust a semaphore to drop when you get to the desired length. As you said, one only takes off a sliver at a time, but, if one zones out, it can be all too easy to keep taking off slivers until your piece is too short.

just thinking out loud about what that suggested track might be good for.

I guess that it could also be used as a way to attach a donkey's ear. If you wanted to be really fancy, you might be able to use the track to adjust the tilt on the donkey's ear.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
An All Purpose Shooting Board