The line up of the next batch of apron planes with 1" Hock blades. Sorry for the poor photos. After this batch is sold I'll invest in a better phone/ camera for taking photos.

If your interested in reserving one please send me a message for details on how to do so. $135.00 includes priority shipping. They will ship out 1st week of May or so. Sides for this batch are Cocobolo, Bubinga & Rosewood, the bodies are Gaboon Ebony. Hybrid wedge pins for this batch will receive brass rod and the wedges will be Gaboon Ebony.

The all Gaboon Ebony version is also available as a special order, $140.00.

[attachment=41654]

[attachment=41655]

[attachment=41656]

[attachment=41675]

[attachment=41676]

[attachment=41677]
Batch 2 drilled for wedge and locator pins and ready for gluing up this weekend. Again, sorry for the poor photo, it's the best my phone will do. Shown are planes for

Ed S - Curly Maple on Ebony
Luke S - Cocobolo on Ebony
Thomas H - Ebony on Ebony
David P - Rosewood on Ebony
Art K - Ebony on Ebony & Cocobolo on Ebony
Mel M - Ebony on Ebony
Jack D - Ebony on Ebony

Thanks for the orders guys!

[attachment=41738]
The planes in batch two are all spoken for. Batch three will start the second week of May or so if anyone is interested. In the third batch there will be four Rosewood body planes with Ebony sides available. I think these will look great! If your interested in reserving a plane from batch three please send me a note. Thank you to those of you that have ordered planes! It's great to be back in Timberwerks Studio making things again! I can only be there nights and weekends for now and I sure look forward to that time.
Six of eight out of the clamps and trimmed of excess before shaping. The Cocobolo on Ebony looks great already, can't wait to see those colors when finish is applied!

[attachment=41805]

[attachment=41806]
Well, due to overtime at work and being under the weather I didn't make as much progress as I wanted to this week however the planes bodies are now shaped and sanded. I really like the look of the two species planes!

[attachment=41986]

[attachment=41987]

[attachment=41988]

[attachment=41989]

[attachment=41990]
This morning I have a bit of time to work on the hybrid pins before we get ready and go for a mother's day get together. So, what's your opinion on pin rod choice, aluminum or brass? I do like the contemporary look of the aluminum pin on the all Ebony planes but the brass is a much nicer material. Brass will be used with the Cocobolo, Rosewood and Curly Maple sided planes but now I'm thinking brass on the all Ebony is probably more fitting.

Either way I'll probably go with the brass on all planes from now on because it ties together the overall high quality and looks.[/font][/font][/size][/color]

Thoughts?

[attachment=42171]

[attachment=42172]

(05-08-2022, 08:21 AM)Timberwerks Studio Wrote: So, what's your opinion on pin rod choice, aluminum or brass? I do like the contemporary look of the aluminum pin on the all Ebony planes but the brass is a much nicer material.
Thoughts?
This is just my opinion, and we all have one, so I don't want you to think that my way if the right way, it's just a way I tend to work.

I pretty much agree with your choice, but one thing that bothers me is if the plane blade is steel and you use brass and/or bronze (my choice being the later, just much better material) you have the color difference in the blade and/or pin, and I normally don't care for silver/brass being in contrast like that.

Some stuff doesn't bother me, but you really need to be concerned with the overall appearance and you know better than people out here on the Internet, all of our monitors are most likely NOT the same color and they DO NOT show the colors in the same way. So be careful about how you ask for opinions, again IMO.

In this case you have the cover so you won't see the pin, only the ends. I might think it looks ok in front of me.

However, being a craftsman often requires we make the best choice we can and if we decide it wasn't the right choice we can always change it.

I suggest to first go with your gut, look at them and decide how you feel with different colors. Sometimes different tones work well together.

For me ebony is such a special wood I would want both the blade and the pins to be the same, not only color wise, if the blade was made out of 01, I'd probably want it made out of the same steel. You could always turn different pins out of 01 or other high carbon steel, and depending on the plane blade it might be difficult to tell what the steel is. As an example, Japanese laminated blades use different steel, so whatever is exposed on the top while the plane is in use would be what I would try to match the steel to. I wouldn't use aluminum for the pins, but I think they will last for anyone's lifetime, it's unclear what may become abrasive inside the pivot and cause slop in the future. I don't currently use a lot of wooden planes with exotic woods, most all of my wood planes are old beat up molding planes and a few for small to medium surfacing. I use iron planes for that mostly, but love wooden planes, and the Krenov plates are just a great size to have close by always as they are so useful. HTH, although probably muddies the water.

Definitely get other opinions and/or go with your gut, you do good enough work that you should trust yourself. Nice work, btw!
Alan
Geometry was the most critical/useful mathematics class I had, and it didn't even teach me mathematics.
(05-08-2022, 08:21 AM)Timberwerks Studio Wrote: So, what's your opinion on pin rod choice, aluminum or brass? I do like the contemporary look of the aluminum pin on the all Ebony planes but the brass is a much nicer material.
Thoughts?
This is just my opinion, and we all have one, so I don't want you to think that my way if the right way, it's just a way I tend to work.

I pretty much agree with your choice, but one thing that bothers me is if the plane blade is steel and you use brass and/or bronze (my choice being the later, just much better material) you have the color difference in the blade and/or pin, and I normally don't care for silver/brass being in contrast like that.

Some stuff doesn't bother me, but you really need to be concerned with the overall appearance and you know better than people out here on the Internet, all of our monitors are most likely NOT the same color and do they DO NOT show colors in the same always. So be careful about how you ask for opinions, again IMO.

In this case you have the cover so you won't see the pin, only the ends. It might looks ok in front of me, that I don't know for certain though.

However, being a craftsman often requires we make the best choice we can and if we decide it wasn't the right choice we can always change it.

I suggest to first go with your gut, look at them and decide how you feel with different colors. Sometimes different tones work well together.

For me ebony is such a special wood I would want both the blade and the pins to be the same, not only color wise, if the blade was made out of 01, I'd probably want it made out of the same steel. You could always turn different pins out of 01 or other high carbon steel, and depending on the plane blade it might be difficult to tell what the steel is. As an example, Japanese laminated blades use different steel, so whatever is exposed on the top while the plane is in use would be what I would try to match the steel to. I wouldn't use aluminum for the pins, but I think they will last for anyone's lifetime, it's unclear what may become abrasive inside the pivot and cause slop in the future. I don't currently use a lot of wooden planes with exotic woods, most all of my wood planes are old beat up molding planes and a few for small to medium surfacing. I use iron planes for that mostly, but love wooden planes, and the Krenov plates are just a great size to have close by always as they are so useful. HTH, although probably muddies the water.

Definitely get other opinions and/or go with your gut, you do good enough work that you should trust yourself. Nice work, btw!
Alan
Geometry was the most critical/useful mathematics class I had, and it didn't even teach me mathematics.
Thanks for the reply Alan! I did go with brass for all the planes in this batch, it looks great against all the woods. I no longer will use the aluminum rod but I think your on to something if I want to match the blade steel I will give the 01 a try or perhaps even stainless. I actually mainly use iron planes myself but these little planes are so useful and look so nice as well as feel great in the hand I think others will enjoy using them as much I as do. I use mine to fit doors, panels etc since it's the perfect size for such work.

Take Care
Krenov Style Apron Planes