I have a flower garden.  1 side has the house.  1 end has a picket fence, the other end has a porch.  I want to keep rabbits out of it.  There's ~35' along a walk that I need to fence.  I want the fence low enough to step over but high enough to keep rabbits out.  I don't want to have to worry about a gate, and a tall fence would look dumb, IMO.  How tall would the fence have to be?  I also want something nicer than a wire fence.

36". Can you step over that?

Any hole needs to be smaller than 3" diameter or a 3" x 3" square.

This presumes there's nothing else for the rabbit to jump off of, and hence over the fence.
Ben Franklin told a story in Poor Richard's Almanac about rabbits in his garden. He build a fence and the rabbits still got in. He build a fence underground and they still got in. After several tries to keep the rabbits out, he decided the rabbits lived inside the garden fence and all he did was kept the predators out. So he planted enough for the rabbits.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(04-19-2022, 06:05 AM)crokett™ Wrote: I have a flower garden.  1 side has the house.  1 end has a picket fence, the other end has a porch.  I want to keep rabbits out of it.  There's ~35' along a walk that I need to fence.  I want the fence low enough to step over but high enough to keep rabbits out.  I don't want to have to worry about a gate, and a tall fence would look dumb, IMO.  How tall would the fence have to be?  I also want something nicer than a wire fence.

Mine is only about 2' tall and I've never had one jump it.  I guess they go find easier food.  I'm in Wisconsin, maybe our rabbits aren't good jumpers?  I went about 5 years without even using a fence but then they found the garden.  We do seem to have our fair share of rabbits also.

(04-19-2022, 08:25 PM)toolmiser Wrote: Mine is only about 2' tall and I've never had one jump it.  I guess they go find easier food.  I'm in Wisconsin, maybe our rabbits aren't good jumpers?  I went about 5 years without even using a fence but then they found the garden.  We do seem to have our fair share of rabbits also.

what is your fence made of?  At the moment I am thinking that I have some slats left over from a fence from a long time ago.  I don't know what kind of shape they're in but thought I could use them to create a fence along with some 2x4s.  I am also thinking of getting some of the paneled wood fencing and using that, maybe with wire on the inside.

(04-20-2022, 04:22 PM)crokett™ Wrote: what is your fence made of?  At the moment I am thinking that I have some slats left over from a fence from a long time ago.  I don't know what kind of shape they're in but thought I could use them to create a fence along with some 2x4s.  I am also thinking of getting some of the paneled wood fencing and using that, maybe with wire on the inside.

Chicken wire.
I wonder if one of the Owl "gargoyles" would help keep them out?
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Dalen-Great-Hor...&gclsrc=ds
Around here we use an electric fence to keep critters out of our gardens.  we plant sweet corn and when the corn is just getting ripe coons will go through it and not leave any.  they will eat just a little of each ear
Choose a high fence, at least 1.3 metres as rabbits can also be good jumpers. Panel and slat fencing are the best options to ensure rabbits are unable to slip through any gaps;
We had a pet indoor rabbit and his vertical leap from standstill was really good. I would go with a 3' minimum.
Rabbit Fencing