I’m building a walnut desk and would like to apply grain filler to the desktop to get a very smooth surface finish.
I’m planning to use Mohawk Grain Filler. This is a solvent based grain filler. I chose this because I can get it pre-colored and I prefer working with solvent based finishes.

I’ve read what I can find online on the topic and techniques and viewed a few videos. Most of the information seems more applicable to the water based grain filler but there is some information about solvent based. I’ve sought out all I can find from Mohawk.

I’ve done a few test applications on smaller pieces of walnut. It seems doable but messy.

Since I’ve not applied grain filler before except for test applications on small pieces, I’m looking for any tips, suggestions or watch-outs that may help me avoid problems or a poor result when I try the application on the large desktop.

Thanks in advance for your advice and assistance.

The few times I've used filler, I simply slopped it on then used a plastic squeegee (sometimes a credit card, other times a plastic putty knife) to work it into the pores by scrapping it across the grain. Then wipe it off using burlap, also across the grain. I've never (that I can remember) got the pores filled on the first try, it usually took 2-3 applications.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
If you don't mind using some elbow grease, you can use an old, but simple, means to fill the relatively small pores of walnut by using the final finish material you plan to use. I assume you are using an oil based film finish. If so, just prepare your wood by sanding to about 180 grit or finer, apply a coat of finish, let it dry and sand it off leaving dry finish in the pores. You may need to do this about 3 or 4 times before you have the pores filled and will be ready to apply the final coats. Then add maybe two more. I've done this with mahogany and alkyd oil varnish (not sure you can get it any more). Poly or lacquer should work just fine. Beautiful mirror finish.

(05-01-2022, 08:03 PM)Willyou Wrote: If you don't mind using some elbow grease, you can use an old, but simple, means to fill the relatively small pores of walnut by using the final finish material you plan to use. I assume you are using an oil based film finish. If so, just prepare your wood by sanding to about 180 grit or finer, apply a coat of finish, let it dry and sand it off leaving dry finish in the pores. You may need to do this about 3 or 4 times before you have the pores filled and will be ready to apply the final coats. Then add maybe two more. I've done this with mahogany and alkyd oil varnish (not sure you can get it any more). Poly or lacquer should work just fine. Beautiful mirror finish.

Pratt and Lambert 38 alkyd varnish has been discontinued 
Sad
yes doable but messy - and as fred said 2-3 coats
jerry
Solvent based filler can be colored with artist pigment, available in any art store or art department of craft stores.   I use Burnt Umber on walnut.  Essential is to let filler thoroughly dry before adding top coat.  If the filler shrinks from further drying after applying top coat your efforts will be ruined.
Bill Tindall

(05-05-2022, 06:32 AM)Bill Tindall Wrote: Solvent based filler can be colored with artist pigment, available in any art store or art department of craft stores.   I use Burnt Umber on walnut.  Essential is to let filler thoroughly dry before adding top coat.  If the filler shrinks from further drying after applying top coat your efforts will be ruined.

Thanks to everyone for the tips and suggestions.

How long does it take solvent based filler to dry or how can I determine when it is dry?

(05-05-2022, 03:13 PM)wpwoodworker Wrote: Thanks to everyone for the tips and suggestions.

How long does it take solvent based filler to dry or how can I determine when it is dry?

How long strongly depends on temperature.  Could be days if cool and damp or a day if hot and dry. I use the sniff test.  If I smell solvent, wait another day and test again.
Bill Tindall
Seeking Grain Filler Tips and Suggestions