Making a bowl out of some large Black walnut, Red Cedar & Honey locust shavings and Alumilite clear slow Resin. Finished with General Finish's wood bowl finish and Acks paste. Because of the quick cure time, even with a pressure pot, there were a lot of bubbles trapped between the shavings unfortunately. Although a dep pour slower curing resin would have been more ideal, this was an attempt to use up the rest of the batch of resin I had before it got too old and went bad

I like that! You could vary the look by using different wood species. I'm sure there is a lot of air trapped between the shavings but I wonder if stabilizing the shavings first would help reduce them any?

I might have to try that myself. Thanks for sharing.

(04-25-2022, 10:49 AM)FrankAtl Wrote: I like that! You could vary the look by using different wood species. I'm sure there is a lot of air trapped between the shavings but I wonder if stabilizing the shavings first would help reduce them any?

I might have to try that myself. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks, I doubt stabilizing would have helped since it would have only gotten rid of any air or moisture that was in the shavings. They had been sitting on a shelf for 3-4 years and were plenty dry. With how thin they were also I don't think they really had any air in them. I am 100% sure it was just air trapped between all the shavings and not air in the shavings themselves. I have been working on some cherry bowls from a tree a friend had cut down that at making some nice big colorful shavings with the forstner bit. I think this will be revisited with a much slower curing resin.

(04-26-2022, 09:05 AM)mtrainer90 Wrote: Thanks, I doubt stabilizing would have helped since it would have only gotten rid of any air or moisture that was in the shavings. They had been sitting on a shelf for 3-4 years and were plenty dry. With how thin they were also I don't think they really had any air in them. I am 100% sure it was just air trapped between all the shavings and not air in the shavings themselves. I have been working on some cherry bowls from a tree a friend had cut down that at making some nice big colorful shavings with the forstner bit. I think this will be revisited with a much slower curing resin.

Folks have made similar with lamination in ply and aspenite.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Wood shavings bowl