I came across a fund-raising auction in support of another woodworking forum.

The current tool on offer is a Tasai Fishtail Chisel, 10mm, NIB with box included.

Does anyone have a feel for the retail price of such a chisel?

As I said, it is a fund-raiser. So, I don't want to low-ball, but I don't want to be stupid over-value either.

If the price goes too high, I think that I would rather just make a contribution and let the chisel go to someone skilled enough to really use a Japanese-style chisel.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.

I would say anywhere from $180 to $220. Most of Tasai's chisels are what I would characterize as "art" chisels, given the finishes and exotic woods for handles on them. There are plenty of places you can find on the internet selling Tasai chisels. If the chisel has a decorative finish to it (sort of looks like alligator skin or damascus), then $300 or above.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I bought one from Blue Spruce a couple years ago. ~$100 IIRC. Quilted maple handle. Prices have probably escalated somewhat.

Edit: Mine is just a "fishtail" chisel. Not familiar with the Japanese line.

Doug
It's not so much that it's a fishtail chisel. It's a hand-forged, Tasai fishtail chisel. Tasai is one of the better Japanese toolmakers. Blue Spruce and Lie-Nielsen are machined from tool steel. The Tasai chisel doesn't work any better than LN or BS. You can probably get it sharper given the type of steel, but practically speaking, it's the equivalent of those brands. The price I cited is consistent with other Tasai chisels.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Thanks. This one has a red oak handle and is 12-1/2" long.

Here is a pic. There looks to be a slight blemish on the edge of the bevel where the steels are welded. It shouldn't have any affect on the usability.

[attachment=41937]

I placed a low-ball bid to open (and said so in the post). So far, no one has raised me. If my original bid wins, I will need to send a more appropriate amount to the fund.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Looks like a beautiful tool. A lot longer than the one I have. Good luck and please let us know the results.

Doug
Tasai Fishtail Chisel, 10mm, value question