I'm working on a piece that includes a small doweled case, like Krenov was a fan of. David Welter wrote an excellent how-to article in FWW 287 (Jan/Feb 2021). I tried building a test box, using a hard maple dowel jig, per the article. The problem I'm having is the jig holes enlarging each time I back the bit out after drilling. The precision was no good after drilling a few joints.

How do eliminate that problem?
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site

Install steel drill bushings.
Going to be difficult to get a good press fit on the bushing in wood.

Ed

(04-30-2022, 08:33 PM)EdL Wrote: Install steel drill bushings.
Going to be difficult to get a good press fit on the bushing in wood.

Ed

That makes sense. Except Welter is an expert at this technique and has taught it to countless students. And in his method, he just says to drill holes in a hardwood jig. So there must be some way to make it work.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
Is there enough clearance between your jig and the workpiece for chips to come out?
No clue on your setup Aram, just shooting from the hip. Guessing chip buildup in the drill is causing the issue.
Ed
Likely that you were not drilling straight, cutting into the hole on the jig. It's easy to angle the drill as you push the drill in. Try loosening up on the hand that holds drill handle. Try with a brad point bit and with a twist to see which kind works better for you.

Simon
Question about doweled case