I finally got to start on my barristers bookcase today. I am making 3 boxes. Started off the day giving my planer quite a workout. Then did a lot of sanding, measuring, sawing, re- measuring, re-cussing, re-sawing. I didn't know re-measuring, re-sawing, and re-cussing went so hand in hand. As of now I have 97 pieces cut. I estimate I have about 36 more to go, and then I can start machining, and assembly. I plan to deviate from the store bought plans a bit, may work out well, may not. Time will tell.[attachment=42497]
Sometimes it's better to keep your mouth shut, and have the world think you a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

I used to cut out all the parts from the plans.  I don't anymore.  I cut the least I can cut to begin construction.  I then take measurements from the project underway to cut the next required parts.  And so it goes, never cutting what is not needed at the time.  I find there are less errors and things fit better this way.
Bill Tindall
(05-30-2022, 06:57 PM)Bill Tindall Wrote: I used to cut out all the parts from the plans.  I don't anymore.  I cut the least I can cut to begin construction.  I then take measurements from the project underway to cut the next required parts.  And so it goes, never cutting what is not needed at the time.  I find there are less errors and things fit better this way.

You are probably right. I have never built anything by cutting all the pieces first, but thought I would give it a try. I will say after cutting 97 pieces, I can't praise the GRR-RIPPER, and the Incra 1000HD cross cut guide enough. Sooooo many repetitive cuts, and every piece is spot on.
Sometimes it's better to keep your mouth shut, and have the world think you a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

(05-31-2022, 02:54 AM)Gregor1 Wrote: You are probably right. I have never built anything by cutting all the pieces first, but thought I would give it a try.  I will say after cutting 97 pieces, I can't praise the GRR-RIPPER, and the Incra 1000HD cross cut guide enough. Sooooo many repetitive cuts, and every piece is spot on.

I certainly would have cut the pieces to make the 3 cases.  But I would not have cut door and trim pieces until I had the case built and could make these measurements from the case in hand.  With this approach it would not matter what the actual size of the case turned out to be.  Nor would it matter if there was an error in the plans.  And there would be no chance of misreading a measure and cutting a door frame 11 1/2 instead of 12 1/2(not that that ever happened to me  
Angry.   )  Where ever possible I mark cuts to be made off the piece underway.  I use a marking knife way more than a pencil.
Bill Tindall
Trim and banding pieces were cut oversized as per the case plans. Final trimming to come later. I also made some pieces twice, once from oak, once from walnut. Again, which I will actually use, will be determined later.
My progress is a bit slow, but I'm moving along. So far I have 6 of these case sides completed, and a lot of the machining done on other parts. I am not going to lie to you and say no mistakes were made, because there were. But so far none, of these mistakes have caused me to have to remake any of the 130 odd pieces I have cut for this bookcase. The first and biggest mistake I made was not reading through the entire plans and instructions, before ever turning on a saw. THAT was dumb. Another mistake was trying to fit the dado joints too tight. I don't think it's necessary, and it just caused me problems during assembly.

One of the things I changed from the original plans was the walnut panels in the sides. The plans called for the entire thing to be oak, but I have always liked the look of oak and walnut together. Some other smaller pieces will also be walnut, with possibly walnut inlay in the door stiles and rails. I am undecided on that yet. I think that may be overkill. [attachment=42534]

(06-01-2022, 06:55 PM)Gregor1 Wrote: My progress is a bit slow, but I'm moving along. So far I have 6 of these case sides completed, and a lot of the machining done on other parts. I am not going to lie to you and say no mistakes were made, because there were. But so far none, of these mistakes have caused me to have to remake any of the 130 odd pieces I have cut for this bookcase. The first and biggest mistake I made was not reading through the entire plans and instructions, before ever turning on a saw. THAT was dumb. Another mistake was trying to fit the dado joints too tight. I don't think it's necessary, and it just caused me problems during assembly.

One of the things I changed from the original plans was the walnut panels in the sides. The plans called for the entire thing to be oak, but I have always liked the look of oak and walnut together. Some other smaller pieces will also be walnut, with possibly walnut inlay in the door stiles and rails. I am undecided on that yet. I think that may be overkill.

I like the result of the care you took in picking and orienting the grain of the stiles.  Many would notice how nice the side will look but be unaware why it looked attractive.  But woodworkers notice the details.  Furniture factories pay no mind to grain in doors and the result in wood like oak is garish.  

I'm not a fan of mixing wood species, but that is a personal choice.  I have an artist friend that helps me with furniture design.  In the beginning she would scrutinize a design and start asking for justification for each design element.  The result would become less frills in my work and a better result.  Don't overdo your  attraction to combinations of walnut with oak.
Bill Tindall
The barristers book case is almost ready for finish, but I would like some opinions on door treatment. Here are 3 pics showing the door . One has nothing over the glass. Just the oak rails and styles of the door. Another shows the glass framed in walnut. The 3rd shows the glass with a walnut grid work. What would be your choice? There are other walnut features in the project. I think I know my favorite, but would like to hear other opinions.
I wiped the walnut with paint thinner to give it some color. Those are the spots you see on the oak.

Thanks Greg
[attachment=42638]

[attachment=42639]

[attachment=42640]
walnut grid and no walnut surrounding the opening.   I would have made the door frame from slightly more narrow stock.  It seems too wide to my eye for the size of the glass it surrounds. This is an example of where not cutting pieces till they are needed is beneficial.  I would have made the case, then mocked up door frames of varying thickness to see what look right to my eye.
Bill Tindall
In also thought the rails and styles were a little wide, but I simply went by the plans. I really liked this project a lot, and I learned a lot doing it. I liked it so much, I plan to do it all again. I don't know what I am going to do with another bookcase, but then I don't know what I am going to do with this one either.
My new project