I made this basswood vase recently but She wanted light blue and it turned out green. Wrong answer!

I assume the yellow in the wood turned the dilute blue dye green. Has anybody had success bleaching out the normal yellow color from a light wood?

Attached Files Image(s)

We do segmented turning, not because it is easy, but because it is hard.

I think that a couple of the local turners swear by the 2-part bleaches. I do not recall any of them saying that they did it on basswood.

Do note that these are somewhat dangerous chemicals and require face shields and gloves. This is NOT your laundry bleach.

What glue did you use?
My first concern is whether or not the glue would dissolve in the bleach water.

Edited to add: very nice open segment vase. I aspire to be that good some day. I have a very long way to go.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.

(06-01-2022, 05:58 PM)iclark Wrote: I think that a couple of the local turners swear by the 2-part bleaches. I do not recall any of them saying that they did it on basswood.

Do note that these are somewhat dangerous chemicals and require face shields and gloves. This is NOT your laundry bleach.

What glue did you use?
My first concern is whether or not the glue would dissolve in the bleach water.

Edited to add: very nice open segment vase. I aspire to be that good some day. I have a very long way to go.

I used Titebond Original that isn't real waterproof. I intent to brush on the solution rather than dip it. The glue should be okay with that. If not, I'll have what's known in the trade as "a learning experience".
We do segmented turning, not because it is easy, but because it is hard.
Leave as is and make another smaller one experiment with. Why destroy a perfectly nice vase?

Pretty much all finishes will turn blue to green. I did a maple vase and after I dyed it blue I thought it was beautiful and really wanted to keep the color. Only thing I found that wouldn’t change the color was Krylon Fixative.
VH07V  

(06-06-2022, 12:31 AM)EightFingers Wrote: Leave as is and make another smaller one experiment with. Why destroy a perfectly nice vase?

Pretty much all finishes will turn blue to green. I did a maple vase and after I dyed it blue I thought it was beautiful and really wanted to keep the color. Only thing I found that wouldn’t change the color was Krylon Fixative.

Excellent suggestion.

Perhaps even better: use pieces of scrap wood to do the experiments until you find something that works for you. Then, try that formulation on a simple deep-ish bowl before trying it on your open-segment art pieces.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
color help needed