Has anyone here used a home air purifier? If so, and what are your results with one?
What are they supposed to do?
Thanks.

GM
The only tool I have is a lathe.  Everything else is an accessory.

(06-13-2022, 07:06 AM)Grey Mountain Wrote: Has anyone here used a home air purifier?  If so, and what are your results with one?
What are they supposed to do?
Thanks.

GM

We use this one in our large family room.

It can be bought for far less than the quoted price, and Costco sells it with a slightly different number.

https://www.winixamerica.com/product/5500-2/
[Image: usa-flag-waving-united-states-of-america...if-clr.gif]
We've used one in our bedroom for a long time but when we had smoke from forest fires really bad a couple of years ago we had to get several more and they really helped. They also are good for filtering pollen.
Thank you. Considering buying one.

GM
The only tool I have is a lathe.  Everything else is an accessory.
We are considering the same thing and it will happen. Being in the woods, we have a real bad pollen problem, inside and out. 

It's easiest to catch impurities in your return duct. No different than a whole house humidifier works best on the supply duct. A stand alone isn't a whole house air purifier and really doesn't do much outside the room it's in. 

The nice thing about the April Air type whole house filters is the ease of changing filters and they are about 1000% more effective than a 1 inch filter as they have about 1000% more surface/filter area than a 1" filter so they really only need to be replaced about every 6months to a year. Air flow is much better too as a 1" really bogs down you system as soon as it starts getting dirty.

I would caution against buying an electronic whole house filter unless it's a back up to the pleated filter. I rarely see a functioning electronic filter. More hype than function. I can see how well the filters are working just by looking at the AC coil. It's either clean or dirty. Look at the Aprilaire Merv 13 and 16 pleated purifier/filters. Odds are, you'll need an HVAC, sheet-metal guy to put it in but it will be worth the cost imho.

Not sure if it's still true or not but AprilAire and Honeywell are the same product.

Some good info here. AprilAire

Something along the lines of this.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(06-15-2022, 06:23 AM)... Wrote: Some good info here. AprilAire

Something along the lines of this.

We had an AprilAire installed when we put our whole house system in 18 years ago.

It's been great.

I buy the replacement filters at Amazon, for right around $40 a pop. 

OEM AprilAire filters..... not substitutes.

Oh, and I get the OEM Winick filters there as well.... I believe they are about $50.
[Image: usa-flag-waving-united-states-of-america...if-clr.gif]

(06-15-2022, 09:21 AM)barnowl Wrote: We had an AprilAire installed when we put our whole house system in 18 years ago.

It's been great.

I buy the replacement filters at Amazon, for right around $40 a pop. 

OEM AprilAire filters..... not substitutes.

Oh, and I get the OEM Winick filters there as well.... I believe they are about $50.

They are great filters. There's a big difference between the aftermarket filters and the OEM. Like a bed sheet compared to a comforter.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

We have several of the Winix ones from Costco. Made a huge difference in
the smoke from the wildfires a few years back. One in the living room and
one in the bedroom.

Would not be without one now. The amount of fine crud they collect out of
the air, 24/7/365 is amazing. I know I sleep better and have less 'nasal in
the morning' problems.
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
Home Air Purifiers