Does anyone know of any bandsaw repair services/TECH that serve the Tampa Bay/Central Florida area?

I live in Citrus County and am in need of getting some repair work done on my (2003) MiniMax MM20 bandsaw. 

Specifically, I removed the lower fly wheel to facilitate a repair to the foot break, (believe it or not) I can not get the flywheel back on because the tolerance between the hole in the wheel and the shaft it goes on are so tight.

Thanks!

Stu

(07-04-2022, 12:28 PM)Stubert Wrote: Does anyone know of any bandsaw repair services/TECH that serve the Tampa Bay/Central Florida area?

I live in Citrus County and am in need of getting some repair work done on my (2003) MiniMax MM20 bandsaw. 

Specifically, I removed the lower fly wheel to facilitate a repair to the foot break, (believe it or not) I can not get the flywheel back on because the tolerance between the hole in the wheel and the shaft it goes on are so tight.

I don't have a real answer, but I would try asking on the Minimax Owners Group:   https://groups.io/g/MinimaxOwnersGroup

I bet somebody there can help you.

Mark
(07-04-2022, 12:28 PM)Stubert Wrote: Does anyone know of any bandsaw repair services/TECH that serve the Tampa Bay/Central Florida area?

Thanks!

Stu

Did you try heating the hub of the wheel with a hot air gun, gently, and freezing the arbor?  That will often give you enough clearance.  Obviously, you have to do both at the same time and work quickly once you make the move, but 10 minutes of heating/cooling might just do it.  Also, make sure the end of the shaft has no burrs, etc.  

John

(07-04-2022, 02:45 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Did you try heating the hub of the wheel with a hot air gun, gently, and freezing the arbor?  That will often give you enough clearance.  Obviously, you have to do both at the same time and work quickly once you make the move, but 10 minutes of heating/cooling might just do it.  Also, make sure the end of the shaft has no burrs, etc.  

John

John,

OK. I have a heat gun, but how would I "freeze" the arbor?

Thanks!

(07-04-2022, 06:24 PM)Stubert Wrote: John,

OK. I have a heat gun, but how would I "freeze" the arbor?

Thanks!

Bag of ice with salt water.  Dry ice would get you a lot colder still, but I'd see if the easy, cheap approach works first.  

John
Just wanted to give a epilogue to this situation for posterity sake.

I received several suggestions, from multiple sources (i.e. woodnet, sawmill creek, Minimax Owners group, Louis Iturra, & SCM) that boiled down to:

1. Various simple to complex process for cleaning the shaft & wheel with emory cloth -- I did clean the shaft & wheel opening, but didn't employ emory cloth
  2. Heat the wheel opening with a heat gun to expand the opening -- I was hesitant to try this, given that I had no knowledge of proper temperature, time duration, and when bearing damage might occur
  3. Cool the shaft with ice water/dry-ice to contract the shaft size -- seemed reasonable, but ultimately didn't have to do
  4. Use a gear press -- don't have one
In the end, Sam Blasco (Minimax Owners Group) had the simplest, sailor-proof solution -- and it worked!!!! After cleaning the shaft/wheel opening, and apply an anti-seize coating to the shaft, I simply employed a series of longer retention bolts to "walk" the wheel back on to the shaft, until the stock (short) retention bolt engaged and secured the wheel in its proper shaft-location.

The wheel is back in place, and the saw has been tested, tested satisfactorily!!!

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and help.

Thanks for the follow up post, it will likely help someone in the future.
A machine shop will be happy to do it for you.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
MiniMax MM20 Bandsaw