Maybe the experts don't need it, but I use it. I have been using Elmers wood filler, because that's the only thing my local store sells, but it seems no matter how good I put the cap back on, once the tube is opened, it dries up. Do you have a favorite brand of wood filler?

Thanks  Greg
Sometimes it's better to keep your mouth shut, and have the world think you a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

(07-27-2022, 06:02 AM)Gregor1 Wrote: Maybe the experts don't need it, but I use it. I have been using Elmers wood filler, because that's the only thing my local store sells, but it seems no matter how good I put the cap back on, once the tube is opened, it dries up. Do you have a favorite brand of wood filler ?

Timbermate is my go to.

(07-27-2022, 07:30 AM)Cabinet Monkey Wrote: Timbermate is my go to.

Same.  Never goes bad.  

John

Depends on application but this and "GoodFilla". Both are available on Amazon and I've found them to be interchangeable except that colors aren't matched.

You can use either as a pore filler during finishing too. I've experimented with plaster of paris as a pore filler and it's worked great. I've had some test pieces (flat sawn red oak and ash) hanging around for almost 4 years (2018) and no signs of filler popping out of the grain. P-of-P takes color very well so it becomes invisible. Did similar with RockHard putty and it has also been fine.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin

^^^^
This  
Yes

Significantly better than any of the "off the shelf" stuff you find at the Big Box.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

Timbermate. If it dries out just add a little water. Big gaps take 2-3 coats b/c of shrinkage. Can take a while to dry.

When I need something to dry quick I like Famowood, use a MinWax plastic wood, both are acetone based and dry out quickly. Once they get dry enough they're done.

Goodfilla also but it does shrink in spite of the label says.

On bigger projects or repair I use Bondo and glazing putty.
When I use filler (as infrequently as possible) I use what I think is Elmer's in a small square tub.  Keep the lid on it and it'll be good for a long time.  If it starts to harden up, you can soften it up with water.
For small holes I used burn in sticks.  Sometimes I carve the hole into a shape that looks more like a color variation in the wood or grain.  These sticks can be blended to alter the color of the individual stick.  

I also use pieces of wood from the scraps that match color and grain.  A filler piece can be carved and mashed into the hole with glue and a clamp. Something the hole has to be carved.   The repair is hard to see when luck prevails.
Bill Tindall
I usually use fine sawdust mixed with whatever finish I will be using.  No problem with incompatibility and the color match is most often very good.  Burn-in sticks (colored shellac), as Bill suggests, are also excellent.  -Howard
(07-27-2022, 06:02 AM)Gregor1 Wrote: Maybe the experts don't need it, but I use it. I have been using Elmers wood filler, because that's the only thing my local store sells, but it seems no matter how good I put the cap back on, once the tube is opened, it dries up. Do you have a favorite brand of wood filler?

Thanks  Greg

I use the Elmer's filler in a tube too. Try putting a little water in the cap and then threading it back onto the tip. The water will keep air from getting to the filler in the tip and will slightly mix with the filler at the very tip and keep it soft.
Alex
Final Assembly Quality Inspector for the manufacture of custom vintage sport biplanes
[Image: 07-15-28-122_512.gif]
wood filler