Anyone have a favorite PVA primer? I have new drywall to prime...and I've read PVA is the way to go. (I'm far more used to painting pine than new drywall!)
Thanks!

(07-29-2022, 08:57 AM)elinourrumming Wrote: Anyone have a favorite PVA primer? I have new drywall to prime...and I've read PVA is the way to go. (I'm far more used to painting pine than new drywall!)
Thanks!

I'm just a regular guy that's painted too much new drywall over the years, but I quit using primer before the Behr Premium Plus paint.  As far as I could tell, it did nothing for me.
(07-29-2022, 08:57 AM)elinourrumming Wrote: Anyone have a favorite PVA primer? I have new drywall to prime...and I've read PVA is the way to go. (I'm far more used to painting pine than new drywall!)
Thanks!

I haven't done much new drywall but used the Valspar Lowes brand without problem.

For patches on existing drywall or to prime my used-to-be popcorn ceilings after scraping the popcorn off I use Zinnser BIN.
PVA is a sealer/primer/smoother The sealer seals the pores in the paper, mud and tape. You can use paint+primer but it is a lot cheaper to seal with primer than paint. No matter what the paint can says, do at least 2 coats. Looks better and wears twice as well as 1 coat. PVA is also a high build primer so it hides a lot of imperfections left from sanding. It's costly to do that with paint.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

I am a big fan of Benjamin Moore paints and am going through the process of redoing all the rooms which includes new sheetrock in a few and this is where I am using their all purpose high hiding primer and I love it. 

https://store.benjaminmoore.com/storefro...art/p/0046
John T.

(07-29-2022, 08:21 PM)JTTHECLOCKMAN Wrote: I am a big fan of Benjamin Moore paints and am going through the process of redoing all the rooms which includes new sheetrock in a few and this is where I am using their all purpose high hiding primer and I love it. 

https://store.benjaminmoore.com/storefro...art/p/0046

We don't dona lot of painting...but have done enough over the decades to use several different brands looking for something I liked.  We've settled on Benjamin Moore as well.  It does cost a little more, but it looks a lot better.  Also,  not having to redo as soon is worth a lot of money - more than makes up for the higher cost of the paint.
The last drywall I painted was when I built my shop and I used some stuff from Menards that the cheapest they had (I needed 20 gallons) and it really worked well. I'm not saying it's the best...just that it went on nicely and covered well. If I was after the best I'd probably go the SW or one of the other big names mentioned above.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Did my house with SW pro mar 200.
1 coat primer, 1 coat of paint, yea, its that good.

Ed
Thanks everyone! I bought a 5 gallon pail of SW (apparently, it's not available in smaller quantities ... so if anyone needs four gallons in about a week...)
I always used a PVC primer on new sheetrock. Then a paint primer, tinted to the final paint color, and finally the final paint.
PVA primer advice