I picked up a Stanley No. 100 miter jig today (picture is from interweb, but mine looks like it)
[attachment=43600]
I own a Millers-Falls Langdon Acme miter box (in my opinion, one of the finest tools for fine crosscuts ever), and a Stanley No. 150 miter box (because I read some posts online praising it for small work).  What I don't have is lots of space in my 11 by 11 foot shop.

It's been years since I made a picture frame and don't expect to make very many in the future.  I'm thinking I don't need this new tool, but, before I move it on, am I missing some fabulous feature on this that the two miter boxes I own lack?

I also have one, a great tool.
(07-29-2022, 06:07 PM)Bill_Houghton Wrote: I picked up a Stanley No. 100 miter jig today (picture is from interweb, but mine looks like it)

I own a Millers-Falls Langdon Acme miter box (in my opinion, one of the finest tools for fine crosscuts ever), and a Stanley No. 150 miter box (because I read some posts online praising it for small work).  What I don't have is lots of space in my 11 by 11 foot shop.

It's been years since I made a picture frame and don't expect to make very many in the future.  I'm thinking I don't need this new tool, but, before I move it on, am I missing some fabulous feature on this that the two miter boxes I own lack?

1. you're missing the two maple rulers, the cast indicator, and the two cast spacer blocks which allow for clamping lower profile moldings.

2. "fabulous features" is an overstatement, but this device allows for a) cutting through both members of a joint while clamped at 90°, and b) revolving the entire clamped assembly so that it can be nailed together.

This device was originally manufactured by Marsh.

go HERE for instruction pamphet

(07-30-2022, 05:17 PM)Joe Bailey Wrote: 1. you're missing the two maple rulers, the cast indicator, and the two cast spacer blocks which allow for clamping lower profile moldings.

Joe, these came with two rulers? I got lucky and found one with two sets of blocks, one standard and one oversized that’s over two inches high.

"Joe, these came with two rulers?"

Yes, you can see them on page 7 of the manual whose link I provided -- the part number is MM-18.
Those two pins in the casting fit into holes in the end of the ruler.

As shipped, the rulers permanently attached to the machine are rather limiting.

[Image: d2DG9RN.jpg]
I was mistaken, mine is the 400.
If anyone is interested in a Marsh with original saw, I have one I’d consider selling. Both are in very good condition. Etch is present, excellent straight blade and handle.

(08-03-2022, 02:42 PM)Kansas City Fireslayer Wrote: If anyone is interested in a Marsh with original saw, I have one I’d consider selling.  Both are in very good condition.  Etch is present, excellent straight blade and handle.

Let me know how much please.  My wife has been after me for several years to do some picture frames for her and I do not have anything to cut 45 except the table saw and it seems i can not get it  right with it.

I would rather have a miter box that comes with a saw but all I seen are way over my budget.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.

(08-03-2022, 04:44 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Let me know how much please.  My wife has been after me for several years to do some picture frames for her and I do not have anything to cut 45 except the table saw and it seems i can not get it  right with it.

I would rather have a miter box that comes with a saw but all I seen are way over my budget.

Alan, I sent you a PM.

(08-04-2022, 03:11 PM)Bruce Haugen Wrote: Alan, I sent you a PM.

Bruce

Thank you for the youtube video I really liked it.  Hope it is as easy to make as it looks.  I will have to try it when I have a good day.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Stanley No. 100 miter jig