Hi all,

I'm in need of a primo curly maple place. I will be heading up to PA from SC in a few weeks. I know of one place that may have a good selection, but no guarantee. Anyone know of a place?

Thanks,

Mike

I've never been there but Hearne Hardwoods has a good reputation. About midway between Baltimore and Philadelphia. 

Some eye candy here: Hearne Hardwood
Another place half hour off I-95 is Exotic Hardwoods in Annapolis MD. I've shopped here lots of times. Not a huge operation but they have nice material.

Exotic Lumber
Mike, I'm about ten miles off 95 (exit 152 in VA) and my supplier generally has very good stock. I was planning on heading down there to resupply this week or next (they're about 40 minutes from me) and if you're not dead set on hand-picking anything I can certainly get you a good amount. Their material is usually very good quality with great figure. I often use their "dollar bin" cutoffs and bargain boards (lots of wane or checking) for cutting boards and they turn out wonderfully. Their rack lumber is almost always excellent.

http://cpjohnsonlumber.com/lumber-prices/

(08-01-2022, 08:53 AM)FS7 Wrote: Mike, I'm about ten miles off 95 (exit 152 in VA) and my supplier generally has very good stock. I was planning on heading down there to resupply this week or next (they're about 40 minutes from me) and if you're not dead set on hand-picking anything I can certainly get you a good amount. Their material is usually very good quality with great figure. I often use their "dollar bin" cutoffs and bargain boards (lots of wane or checking) for cutting boards and they turn out wonderfully. Their rack lumber is almost always excellent.

http://cpjohnsonlumber.com/lumber-prices/

I checked out their website and its worth the stop. I like picking my stuff as I know what I need. I'm building a curly maple/cherry dresser and Lingerie chest. I plan on coming up in two weeks. If you stop by before that could you check out the figue. I plan to call them before I leave.

Thanks,

Mike

(08-01-2022, 09:41 AM)Mike 55 Wrote: I checked out their website and its worth the stop. I like picking my stuff as I know what I need. I'm building a curly maple/cherry dresser and Lingerie chest. I plan on coming up in two weeks. If you stop by before that could you check out the figue. I plan to call them before I leave.

Thanks,

Mike

Will do. I'll be down there Thursday or Friday (I'm almost certain, anyway) and I will check out the quantity and figure.
I've gotten some really nice stuff from Dunlap Woodcrafts in Chantilly, VA. They have a specialty in gunstocks (often primo curly maple), but also carry lots of boards and slabs, which is what I've purchased in the past. Not a huge operation, so it could be worth calling ahead.

Tyler
(08-01-2022, 07:38 AM)Mike 55 Wrote: Hi all,

I'm in need of a primo curly maple place. I will be heading up to PA from SC in a few weeks. I know of one place that may have a good selection, but no guarantee. Anyone know of a place?

Thanks,

Mike
I've gotten fantastic curly maple from Bob Kloes

Great guy.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
Does it have to be solid wood? There are plenty of places who sell primo curly maple veneer.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill

(08-02-2022, 05:53 AM)AHill Wrote: Does it have to be solid wood?  There are plenty of places who sell primo curly maple veneer.

Yes, I'm looking for solid wood. I'm not a great fan of veners. Plus I need draw fronts and I don't want to use banding. I think I have enough places to check out.

Thanks all. 

Mike
Curly Maple Source?