Big Grin 
Completed my summer project recently. Over a 3.5 month period I wrote a book. Summer is ideal to take a step back and write.. at least for me. The book Quiet Woodworking: In An Unquiet World  presents my take on the direction of woodworkingWith an emphasis on hand tool woodworking, the book is balanced in its content. Some parts of it might appear controversial but it simply to make the point about the future of woodworking. Over 100 days of writing, editing, re-writing and tweaking and it's done now.

Thanks,
Norman Pirollo

That sounds very interesting.

I found it available in ebook form on what looks to be your website.

Will it be available somewhere in print?
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.

(09-09-2022, 10:19 PM)iclark Wrote: That sounds very interesting.

I found it available in ebook form on what looks to be your website.

Will it be available somewhere in print?

It is available in eBook format at the moment. Working on developing a print version, but there is considerable time involved and need to find a publisher that can make it affordable, or in a good price range.  Thx, Norman
(09-09-2022, 08:08 AM)normp Wrote: Completed my summer project recently. Over a 3.5 month period I wrote a book. Summer is ideal to take a step back and write.. at least for me. The book Quiet Woodworking: In An Unquiet World  presents my take on the direction of woodworkingWith an emphasis on hand tool woodworking, the book is balanced in its content. Some parts of it might appear controversial but it simply to make the point about the future of woodworking. Over 100 days of writing, editing, re-writing and tweaking and it's done now.

Thanks,
Norman Pirollo

Could you possibly give us with some bullet points with a little detail?

Thanks,

Doug

(09-13-2022, 09:38 PM)Tapper Wrote: Could you possibly give us with some bullet points with a little detail?

Thanks,

Doug

Some of the foreword of the book...

The p
remise of book is the dichotomy of hand tool woodworking in a modern world. I delve into how working with hand tools might appear antiquated and anachronistic, but the merits disprove this. Woodworking with power tools and machines have become normalized over the past century. Our lives are rapidly being overtaken with technology that performs the labor-intensive tasks we were once accustomed to. Machines bring an inordinate amount of noise and dust into our lives. This is the consequence of introducing expediency to our woodworking. Advancements in technology are viewed as progress, but our minds and bodies have perhaps not kept up.

Our bodies were designed to move and work. Hand to eye coordination is a trait developed over thousands of years. We are moving away from this by having technology overtake our daily lives.
It is unlikely we will ever return to our former lives where tasks were hand powered. We need to strike a balance in our lives between progress and maintaining tradition. This can occur through hand tool woodworking. There is much to be said of how woodworking was performed in earlier times solely with hand tools. Through exposure to hand tools and their application in furniture making, I have come to appreciate that woodworking and furniture making is far more fulfilling with hand tools. The tactile feedback of working with the nuances of wood is incomparable. The compelling reasons for hand tool woodworking revolve around a quiet, dust free shop environment. Creating furniture without the overarching concern for noise and dust allows me to enjoy the process and better focus on the task at hand. After a mid-career furniture making education, I pivoted to using hand tools in my furniture making. Early doubts about the longevity of this change were quickly erased.
Not being downloadable in a common format like PDF or epub is somewhat of a disappointment.

(09-14-2022, 11:21 AM)nuk Wrote: Not being downloadable in a common format like PDF or epub is somewhat of a disappointment.

It is set up with the PDF download option. Although the "default" Flip Book delivery closely resembles a print book with page turning, etc.

Thx,
Norman

(09-14-2022, 11:36 AM)normp Wrote: It is set up with the PDF download option. Although the "default" Flip Book delivery closely resembles a print book with page turning, etc.

I'm looking at the page for the course/book right now, and seeing exactly one link, to the online flip version.  The online reader gives options to either 'social share', or 'print'.  Technically it's possible to use 'Print' and then 'Save to PDF', which is kind of a kludge and isn't really giving satisfactory results on my device.

(09-14-2022, 11:50 AM)nuk Wrote: I'm looking at the page for the course/book right now, and seeing exactly one link, to the online flip version.  The online reader gives options to either 'social share', or 'print'.  Technically it's possible to use 'Print' and then 'Save to PDF', which is kind of a kludge and isn't really giving satisfactory results on my device.

Hi,

Have a look in the "Content" section. There should be a link to the PDF version.

Thx,
Norman
Interesting. I literally reloaded the same page, and now there's magically a 'PDF version' link under the previous one.
New book: Quiet Woodworking: In An Unquiet World