Picked up what I think is a slick. The odd thing is that it has a handle like a shovel. Maker appears to be M. Brainard. Has anyone heard of this maker or type of slick? I know pics will help and I will port pics when I get home. TIA.
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$

(09-10-2022, 09:40 AM)DaveParkis Wrote: Picked up what I think is a slick. The odd thing is that it has a handle like a shovel. Maker appears to be M. Brainard. Has anyone heard of this maker or type of slick? I know pics will help and I will port pics when I get home. TIA.

Does that make it a  crank handle slick?
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Pictures might help?
There's no standard shovel handle.  Do you mean a split handle like this?
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Apologies for the delay in posting pics. It has been so long since I had to use my camera, I couldn't find the cord. 
Laugh At any rate, here is a pic of the slick and one of the maker's mark.
[Image: uz7nNBpm.jpg][Image: vJT0xrJm.jpg]

(09-11-2022, 08:23 PM)DaveParkis Wrote: Apologies for the delay in posting pics. It has been so long since I had to use my camera, I couldn't find the cord. 
Laugh At any rate, here is a pic of the slick and one of the maker's mark.
[Image: uz7nNBpm.jpg][Image: vJT0xrJm.jpg]

Looks like a bark spud, for de-barking the tree before sawing. They often have D-handles.
You sure it's a woodworking tool? Might be a chisel for removing old floor tiles, linoleum, etc.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I am not sure. It was in a carpenter's tool chest.
It's a scraper. I'm 90% sure of that. Plenty available online with an almost exact profile. I think the name is the owner's name. Could have been used to remove old flooring - tiles or wood, or scrape ice or cut tree roots. Often sold as a landscaping tool. Definitely not something intended to be used with a mallet or hammer.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Thanks Allan!! I appreciate it
Strange slick??