Looking to buy a new fridge.
What are your pros/cons about having the freezer on the top, the bottom, or a side by side unit?
Thanks
Ray

You may go into the refrigerator 10 times for every one time you go to the freezer: I've had mostly freezer on the bottom and I think its the best configuration.
(09-25-2022, 04:07 PM)DogwoodTales Wrote: Looking to buy a new fridge.
What are your pros/cons about having the freezer on the top, the bottom, or a side by side unit?
Thanks

Have had them all and the bottom freezer in a drawer that I have right now has been by far the best.  Would not consider anything else as a replacement.

(09-25-2022, 06:44 PM)bottd Wrote: Have had them all and the bottom freezer in a drawer that I have right now has been by far the best.  Would not consider anything else as a replacement.

Yes , another vote for a bottom freezer.   Roly
(09-25-2022, 04:07 PM)DogwoodTales Wrote: Looking to buy a new fridge.
Thanks

Top freezer are usually cheaper , but getting harder to find. 

Bottom freezer offers the most choice of different units/ brands / features.  

SxS  freezer often has the most cu. in. of storage but you give up the ability / flexibility  to store wide things like frozen pizzas , casseroles , or baking sheets. 

It’s personal pref/taste.   Complete strangers aren’t going to be able to offer you any kind of quantifiable metric on which to base you decision.  You just gotta go kick the tires at some stores and you’ll prob. be able to tell right away what you prefer.
CM well I know what you mean but the comment above about the lack of larger storage in the side by sides is something I hadn’t thought about so that made it worth asking for the opinions.
Ray

(09-25-2022, 09:44 PM)DogwoodTales Wrote: CM well I know what you mean but the comment above about the lack of larger storage in the side by sides is something I hadn’t thought about so that made it worth asking for the opinions.

Cabinet depth models have a similar 'size' problem as to storage.  I didn't like the bottom freezer drawer at first, but now that we're used to it we probably wouldn't go back to anything else.

(09-26-2022, 05:32 AM)KC Wrote: Cabinet depth models have a similar 'size' problem as to storage.  I didn't like the bottom freezer drawer at first, but now that we're used to it we probably wouldn't go back to anything else.

How so ?  

While they may have less cu. in. of overall storage volume - it really boils down to a specific model’s layout / organization that will determine how functional it is.  

Having an xtra row for tubs of expiring cottage cheese or jars of molding pizza sauce on the very back row that you can’t see is hardly an upside in my view.  

If you’re only able/willing to go to the grocer once a month , the xtra volume would be handy.  I’m guessing that is very few people though.  And then there’s aesthetics to be considered for some people who just don’t want a fridge sticking out into their workspace.  

It’s a big and varied marketplace with something to fit just about everyone’s needs.

(09-26-2022, 10:40 AM)Cabinet Monkey Wrote: How so ?  

While they may have less cu. in. of overall storage volume - it really boils down to a specific model’s layout / organization that will determine how functional it is.  

Having an xtra row for tubs of expiring cottage cheese or jars of molding pizza sauce on the very back row that you can’t see is hardly an upside in my view.  

If you’re only able/willing to go to the grocer once a month , the xtra volume would be handy.  I’m guessing that is very few people though.  And then there’s aesthetics to be considered for some people who just don’t want a fridge sticking out into their workspace.  

It’s a big and varied marketplace with something to fit just about everyone’s needs.

We have a counter-depth one with the freezer on the bottom.  Works well.

Whatever you do, get a counter-depth fridge/freezer.  To my eye, when I see a reg. depth freezer sticking out into the room, it looks odd.
Dumber than I appear
We solved the challenge of the new side by side's limited width by keeping the old bottom freezer fridge in the basement....
Winkgrin
On the top, bottom, or side? - freezers that is