How would you make this blind mortise in the interior bottom of an assembled box?

1/4” deep, 3” diameter, with center 2-1/2” from interior side wall

If not assembled, this would be a natural operation with a drill press and Forster bit. That size of bit doesn’t work well with hand drill.

My current plan is to use a home saw and then remove waste with router plane/chisels.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Matt

(10-03-2022, 03:49 PM)mdhills Wrote: How would you make this blind mortise in the interior bottom of an assembled box?

1/4” deep, 3” diameter, with center 2-1/2” from interior side wall

If not assembled, this would be a natural operation with a drill press and Forster bit.  That size of bit doesn’t work well with hand drill.

My current plan is to use a home saw and then remove waste with router plane/chisels.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Matt
How deep is the box? It could probably still work with a drill press. Even if it's fairly deep, a Forstner bit and an extension would still probably work. That's going to be the cleanest by far.
(10-03-2022, 05:51 PM)FS7 Wrote: How deep is the box? It could probably still work with a drill press. Even if it's fairly deep, a Forstner bit and an extension would still probably work. That's going to be the cleanest by far.

Yea, what he said. If the box didn't fit on my drill press I would make a locating jig. I'm thinking a scrap of 2x6 with the 3" hole located the 2-1/2" from one edge. If the 2x6 is long enough to also locate one, or both, end(s) it's a bonus. If I thought I'd have trouble keeping it plumb, I'd mount another block on top with a hole sized for the drill bit shank. If it was really critical, I'd drill another scrap to cut up into a depth stop. 

I think this would get me pretty close to the same finished product as if I had used the drill press before assembly.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
Big round hole inside box?