so, i got some CBN wheels, and i really like 'em.  but, i still have some not-so-great-steel things i want to sharpen / grind.  i know you can clean the CBN wheels, but i'd rather just use those with my "nice" tools.  question i have is  --  do the diamond wheels "load up" with cheaper steel like the CBN wheels do?  
Confused

(10-18-2022, 12:55 PM)arthropod98 Wrote: so, i got some CBN wheels, and i really like 'em.  but, i still have some not-so-great-steel things i want to sharpen / grind.  i know you can clean the CBN wheels, but i'd rather just use those with my "nice" tools.  question i have is  --  do the diamond wheels "load up" with cheaper steel like the CBN wheels do?  
Confused

All I have for grinding wheels are the aluminum oxide that came with my slow speed grinder.

This is from a seller of diamond wheels. https://woodturnerswonders.com/products/...dcf42beb16

Did you replace old wheels with cbn? Maybe just put them back on for not-so-great-steel things?

(10-18-2022, 06:20 PM)hairy Wrote: All I have for grinding wheels are the aluminum oxide that came with my slow speed grinder.

This is from a seller of diamond wheels. https://woodturnerswonders.com/products/...dcf42beb16

Did you replace old wheels with cbn? Maybe just put them back on for not-so-great-steel things?

Ken Rizza (Woodturners Wonders) sells some really good CBN wheels and he is a pleasure to talk to at shows (if you happen to catch a slow moment at his booth).

I had forgotten that he had added some diamond wheels for sharpening carbide bits.

To the OP's question: no, diamond is not the solution for sharpening tool steels (as in, pre-HSS or carbon steel).

CBN wheels were developed because of the brittleness of diamond. The diamond can load up like the CBN.

If you are only doing a little bit of the older steel, then using them for the good steel afterwards will usually clean the wheels.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
thanks fellas!

i still have my aluminum oxide wheels, but i'd rather not swap back and forth.  once i got the CBN wheels running true, i ain't touching 'em!  
Laugh

oh, and ken is definitely great  --  that's where my CBN wheels came from.  
Big Grin

i just didn't know anything about the diamond ones, so i appreciate the info!  
Yes
A little off topic, but if you have a tormek, the diamond wheels are awesome.
I guess because it's super slow and it goes through water.

(10-19-2022, 08:58 AM)paul2004 Wrote: A little off topic, but if you have a tormek, the diamond wheels are awesome.

oh nice, but no tormek for me.  but . . . woodcraft has the rikon slow speed grinder on sale for $150 right now.  
Big Grin

recently freed-up some space, so another grinder it is!  
Laugh

(10-19-2022, 09:02 AM)arthropod98 Wrote: oh nice, but no tormek for me.  but . . . woodcraft has the rikon slow speed grinder on sale for $150 right now.  
Big Grin

recently freed-up some space, so another grinder it is!  
Laugh

Woodcraft used to carry a 2-speed grinder. Mine went to Bradenton when I took the mini-lathe down there.

Right now I am using one of the 1hp with CBN wheels that I got from Ken. The coarse wheel on it now is actually a bit too coarse for what I do. Somewhere in the shop, I have 3 other CBN wheels (also from Ken). If I can ever find where I put them, I will experiment with which wheel(s) I want to use. One of those in hiding is even crowned a bit.

For now, the grinder sits on half of one of the chrome 24"x24" shelves from BJ's. It is on wheels, the middle shelf is handy for various accessories, and the handle for the shelves is a great place to hang the pull-cut saw I use for the last little parting for spindles. The piece of plywood (with the grinder, wolverine guides, and the spacers to get the wolverine guides to the right height) fits very nicely on the top shelf.

If I get around to setting up a 2nd grinder, I will be tempted to build a flip-top cart for the 2 grinders. Sadly, most of my other tools are not really practical for a flip-top cart.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.

(10-19-2022, 05:02 PM)iclark Wrote: Woodcraft used to carry a 2-speed grinder. Mine went to Bradenton when I took the mini-lathe down there.

Right now I am using one of the 1hp with CBN wheels that I got from Ken. The coarse wheel on it now is actually a bit too coarse for what I do. Somewhere in the shop, I have 3 other CBN wheels (also from Ken). If I can ever find where I put them, I will experiment with which wheel(s) I want to use. One of those in hiding is even crowned a bit.

For now, the grinder sits on half of one of the chrome 24"x24" shelves from BJ's. It is on wheels, the middle shelf is handy for various accessories, and the handle for the shelves is a great place to hang the pull-cut saw I use for the last little parting for spindles. The piece of plywood (with the grinder, wolverine guides, and the spacers to get the wolverine guides to the right height) fits very nicely on the top shelf.

If I get around to setting up a 2nd grinder, I will be tempted to build a flip-top cart for the 2 grinders. Sadly, most of my other tools are not really practical for a flip-top cart.

can't remember the grits i got, but they're the nice big fat CBNs, and it's a P.C. V.S. grinder.  the current setup ain't bad, it's on the same roll-around chest as my little HF milling machine.  gonna do a little rearranging once all the outside winter prep stuff is done.  also, i'll be getting the wolverine setup.  i have the PSI version right now, which is OK, but there's some not-so-hot little quirks with it.  still need to make the stand for my little coronet herald . . . i really like that thing.  
Yes
(10-19-2022, 08:58 AM)paul2004 Wrote: A little off topic, but if you have a Tomek, the diamond wheels are awesome.

I'm surprised rust is not an issue.  My Tormek has not seen the light of day since the CBN went on the grinder.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
diamond wheels