This has been my only power sanding for at least 15 yrs.  Problem...I'm on my third one and from the sound of things it will not last much longer.  If I had used them every day, 5 yrs per drill would not be bad, I guess.

What do you guys use for power sanding?
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood

https://www.amazon.com/GREX-AOS368-2-Inc...1713&psc=1
If it don't hold soup, it's ART!!

Dry Creek Woodturning

(10-21-2022, 06:25 PM)AnthonyYak Wrote: https://www.amazon.com/GREX-AOS368-2-Inc...1713&psc=1

Kind of interesting that it's pneumatic, but the Amazon specs also say 2.2 Amps.  I have one.  It's a great tool, but you really need a pretty good CFM capacity to keep it running without depleting your tank.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill

(10-23-2022, 08:57 AM)AHill Wrote: Kind of interesting that it's pneumatic, but the Amazon specs also say 2.2 Amps.  I have one.  It's a great tool, but you really need a pretty good CFM capacity to keep it running without depleting your tank.

On the Grex site it lists it at 8 cfm .   A small compressor will not operate it very long .  roly
I use this Harbor Freight 90 degree, front exhaust die grinder with 2" dia sanding disks.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1-4-quarte...52848.html
We do segmented turning, not because it is easy, but because it is hard.
I would go pneumatic in a heartbeat, but my compressor is not big enough and I'm not willing to give up the space for a larger compressor.

Just the same, I thank you for your input.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood

(10-23-2022, 03:34 PM)Bill Holt Wrote: I would go pneumatic in a heartbeat, but my compressor is not big enough and I'm not willing to give up the space for a larger compressor.

Just the same, I thank you for your input.

The foot print of the upright compressor that I bought is not much bigger than my pancake compressor. The big difference is that I cannot tuck it under a bench when not in use. Also, I need to install the drain hose so that I don't have to get down on the floor to drain the water.

I bought the Grex above ^^^ and the compressor after I had a private lesson from one of our turning club members. The difference that the powered sander made was phenomenal.

Until then, I had been using one of the inertial sanders (sanding wheel spinning on the end of a stick). It did work and I have kept mine around, but it did not have the variety of sanding disks/disk-holders.

The 120* offset sander (whether it is pneumatic or electric) really does help with access vs a 90* sander.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
granted, i haven't used it a TON, but so far i really like it for sanding:

18V ONE+ HP COMPACT BRUSHLESS 1/4" RIGHT ANGLE... - RYOBI Tools

(10-24-2022, 06:39 AM)arthropod98 Wrote: granted, i haven't used it a TON, but so far i really like it for sanding:

18V ONE+ HP COMPACT BRUSHLESS 1/4" RIGHT ANGLE... - RYOBI Tools

It had not occurred to me that a driver would be able to stand up to the extended run time needed for sanding. Based on the website that you linked, the manufacturer seems to think that it will.

As you get more experience with it, please let us know how it holds up. Does it start to get hot to the touch?

The Grex 120* angle gives me more access than I would get to the inside of a bowl if I used one of my 90* drill/drivers because I haven't been doing large enough bowls to reach all of the interior with the 90*.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(10-21-2022, 03:36 PM)Bill Holt Wrote: This has been my only power sanding for at least 15 yrs.  Problem...I'm on my third one and from the sound of things it will not last much longer.  If I had used them every day, 5 yrs per drill would not be bad, I guess.

What do you guys use for power sanding?

I buy drills at yard sales. Usually 1 or 2 dollars.

I used many air tools back in my working days. I'm probably guilty of over oiling. That keeps me from using them on at the lathe.

Milwaukee Close Quarter Drill