I have had a block of pure bees wax and small bag of carnauba wax. I have read pages on ratio's 1-4 to 1-8 bee to carnauba.But every recipe has either turps or BLO to soften. Being a retired cheap skate Idon't want to buy a can of terp that won't be used again. Can I use olive oil instead ?  I'll use the wax on knives.
THX
Mike

Vegetable oil might go rancid over time, ruining your mixture. That said, I'm guessing these are food prep knives of some kind so i don't know what to suggest. Might read a can of paste ingredients and see what's in there....I would be surprised if it's MS in some form.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
You might want to look up Spoon Butter.  It's Bees Wax and Mineral Oil, it's the best for cutting boards and knife handles according to Americans Test Kitchen. If you don't have a double boiler you can put a rag in the bottom of the pot of water. It is also great to keep your skin soft in the winter!
Captain Kirk was talking about my shop when he said: Space the final frontier!   
I use a mixture of Tung Oil, bees wax, and citrus solvent.  I have used turpentine in the past but hate the smell. The citrus solvent is much nicer smelling and to use.  This is a food safe finish and I thin it out with more citrus solvent for cutting board maintenance.  A little carnauba wax added would probably be a good  thing.
Scoony, why ting oil over mineral oil? Just curios. I’ve always used MO and paraffin wax. Never made paste wax but isn’t BLO pretty cheap? Maybe I’m just use to seeing a can of it all the time.

Don't use any oil that will cure over time.  BLO will cure.  If you use linseed oil, get the food safe linseed oil - not BLO.  Whatever oil you use, make sure it's pure and not mixed with solvents or drying agents or anything like that.  Turpentine is a solvent, so there are formulas for paste wax that include a solvent to keep the wax soft.  As long as you're not requiring food safe, the solvents are OK.  Johnson paste wax had solvents in it.  Minwax and others use solvents.  Minwax uses paraffin, turpentine, and mineral spirits.  Johnson has all sorts of chemical solvents e.g. deoderized naptha solubilizer.  Johnson uses carnauba and paraffin.  I don't think Johnson stopped making their paste wax last year.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I did read where Johnsons paste wax is no more...never looked to see if it was true.
Theres always Butchers Bowling alley wax to fall back on.

Got a can of each, you'll be able to buy it at the auction when I die....lol.

Ed

(12-17-2022, 12:11 AM)EdL Wrote: I did read where Johnsons paste wax is no more...never looked to see if it was true.
Theres always Butchers Bowling alley wax to fall back on.

Got a can of each, you'll be able to buy it at the auction when I die....lol.

Ed

I had emailed SE Johnson asking whether the paste wax had been discontinued, this was some months ago when the same question came up on another forum. Here's the reply:

"Hi Fred,

I’m sorry to confirm Johnson's Paste Wax is no longer being made. That said, your continued interest has been shared with the team.

We’re always working on new and exciting products and sometimes, in order to make room for them at the store, we have to decide which ones to take off the shelf. It’s a decision we don’t take lightly, and consumer and retailer interest helps us choose which stay.
<snip>
Gail
Consumer Relationship Center
SC Johnson, A Family Company
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

(12-17-2022, 03:29 PM)fredhargis Wrote: I had emailed SE Johnson asking whether the paste wax had been discontinued, this was some months ago when the same question came up on another forum. Here's the reply:

"Hi Fred,

I’m sorry to confirm Johnson's Paste Wax is no longer being made. That said, your continued interest has been shared with the team.

We’re always working on new and exciting products and sometimes, in order to make room for them at the store, we have to decide which ones to take off the shelf. It’s a decision we don’t take lightly, and consumer and retailer interest helps us choose which stay.
<snip>
Gail
Consumer Relationship Center
SC Johnson, A Family Company
I have used Simonize for years..still available...good stuff..
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(12-15-2022, 12:33 AM)Kansas City Fireslayer Wrote: Scoony, why ting oil over mineral oil?  Just curios.  I’ve always used MO and paraffin wax.  Never made paste wax but isn’t BLO pretty cheap?  Maybe I’m just use to seeing a can of it all the time.

I have used mineral oil in the past and just really never liked it. I started using Tung oil thinned with citrus solvent on cutting boards. On the end grain cutting boards, I will get enough oil on the boards that it starts to seep through the other side, then flip the board and get that side. 

First paste wax I made used turpentine and BLO, but I hated the smell. So now I use bees wax, Tung Oil, and citrus solvent. Makes a good wax that can be used on furniture, cutting boards, etc, and smells pleasant.  The Tung oil and citrus solvent is not cheap, heck bees wax is not cheap either, but Hobby Lobby will have 1/2 price sales on their candle making supplies, which includes bees wax.
Making paste wax