I want to build a 12x24 that will be moved onto a permanent foundation later...the plans I'm looking at call for 2x8 joist that only have support on the eges. That seems a lot easier to me.  My question is whether or not that's sufficient or should I use 2x10s? I can't seem to find a chart that makes sense to me. 

Thanks

https://myoutdoorplans.com/shed/12x24-ti...oft-plans/
"Life is too short for bad tools.".-- Pedder 7/22/11

Are you building a tiny house?
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(10-23-2022, 08:38 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: Are you building a tiny house?

Yes and no. I am gonna makeit a cabin type thing to stay in at times while my house is built on the land I have. After that, it will be a multi use building...eventually wired and insulated.
Are you building a tiny house?

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(10-23-2022, 08:06 AM)Scott W Wrote: I want to build a 12x24 that will be moved onto a permanent foundation later...the plans I'm looking at call for 2x8 joist that only have support on the eges. That seems a lot easier to me.  My question is whether or not that's sufficient or should I use 2x10s? I can't seem to find a chart that makes sense to me. 

Thanks

This reference suggests that would work at 16" OC.  

John
When you say support on the edges, do you mean using the rim joists as supports as opposed to sitting the joists on beams? Not the ideal way to build but you can. The rim joists would be doubled up for support. 

Span and spacing charts for living spaces.

... Kizar Sosay

(10-23-2022, 08:06 AM)Scott W Wrote: I want to build a 12x24 that will be moved onto a permanent foundation later...the plans I'm looking at call for 2x8 joist that only have support on the eges. That seems a lot easier to me.  My question is whether or not that's sufficient or should I use 2x10s? I can't seem to find a chart that makes sense to me. 

Thanks

the way im reading this, youre going to have the structure supported around the perimeter. myself i would either go 12 O.C., move up to 2 by 10 16" o.c., or have a support beam down the center under the joists.
rule of thumb i was taught:
2 by 6 span 6'
2 by 8 span 8'
2 by 10 span 10'
2 by 12 span 12'

and build it bigger for jousting.
Smile

(10-23-2022, 09:41 AM)tomsteve Wrote: the way im reading this, youre going to have the structure supported around the perimeter. myself i would either go 12 O.C., move up to 2 by 10 16" o.c., or have a support beam down the center under the joists.
rule of thumb i was taught:
2 by 6 span 6'
2 by 8 span 8'
2 by 10 span 10'
2 by 12 span 12'

and build it bigger for jousting.
Smile
Yes...banana fingers once again. I can take my 2x8s and 2x10s to the Renaissance Festival for joists and jousting.
Pondering something similar, I decided on putting it on a cement slab and doing 9’ walls. I could add an insulated wood floor after if needed.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

(10-23-2022, 03:01 PM)blackhat Wrote: Pondering something similar, I decided on putting it on a cement slab and doing 9’ walls. I could add an insulated wood floor after if needed.

I want to move it when the rest of the land is cleared so a permanent foundation wouldn't work right now.  As far as 9 foot walls, I plan on 10 foot one one side and 8 on the other.
Joust Span