[attachment=44968]

For sale, Veritas right hand shooting board plane.
Practically new. Used for 10 minutes. No, really. I swear. 
Will ship. (extra)

$100 dollars off original price incl. tax paid, less shipping... approximately. (Tax was more.)
$285.00

Nice thick O1 blade.

I suppose this begs a story...
Love my shooting board but using my 62 or 5 1/2 planes were killing my hand.  The 62 wasn't bad but too light. 5 1/2 was too hard on the palm or if using fingers in and around the frog would just kill if I had a miss stroke and came to a dead stop.

Really wanted the Lie Nielson but had been on the waiting list for over a year. One batch had come and gone but I was too far up the list to have gotten the notice. So, saw the Veritas was in stock and bought it.

Cleaned it up, honed the blade and gave it a shot. For about 10 minutes on some red Oak. It was okay. But there are several adjustments to be made and I thought I could just wing it. So went looking to YouTube for some setup suggestions and not finding detailed answers, decided to film the process of setup myself. Borrowed a camera mount from my daughter and was about to start filming when, you guessed it, Lie Nielson calling.

darn, what to do. I was out of town when the notice came. Almost passed it by but the impulse bug in me hit the purchase button. 

Now, here I am, looking to get something back before the wife sees the bills. hahaha.

Good things about the Veritas.
Nice thick blade. Thickest I've come across. 
Hefty weight to the plane. 
Good tolerances on the adjustable mouth.
Comfy tote.
Nice mechanism for adjusting/ advancing blade.
There are set screws to afix the skew angle and keep the blade perpendicular to the shooting board. In theory, would be easy to get back to shooting after a sharpening (didn't get that far) by minimizing one of the downsides to a bevel up plane.

If I had used it more, I'd list the down sides but, don't know.
Visually, I think the blade opening goes a little deep for a dedicated shooting board plane. Although, with the set screws, you can minimize that, I guess.
Veritas' view is that you can use it also for jointing but you would have to change the angel of the tote (hex key). I'd rather stick with my lovely Woodriver 5 1/2 for that.

How does it compare to the Lie Nielson? Don't know yet. Haven't opened the box. hahahaha. Soon though. 

[attachment=44968][attachment=44969][attachment=44970][attachment=44971][attachment=44972][attachment=44973][attachment=44974]
[attachment=44975][attachment=44976][attachment=44977]

Wow, this is such a great price, I have to pull the trigger if you still have this.

Way better than the LV 2nds sale. I know I won't use it all the time but this will get used rather than my jack plane for shooting.
Alan
Geometry was the most critical/useful mathematics class I had, and it didn't even teach me mathematics.

(10-30-2022, 07:14 PM)TraditionalToolworks Wrote: Wow, this is such a great price, I have to pull the trigger if you still have this.

Way better than the LV 2nds sale. I know I won't use it all the time but this will get used rather than my jack plane for shooting.

Sure thing. You were the first to offer. And I'll be able to tell the wife I sold the other thing. (don't have to tell her at what price though. hahahaha)

I'll send you a PM. (when I figure out how to do it. lol )
It's a great plane, love mine.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I had a LN #9 (sold it), after I bought a LV miter shooting plane. The LV (not the one the OP is selling) is by far the most comfortable shooting plane I've used, beating the LN #9 by a mile.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com

(10-31-2022, 09:52 AM)Tony Z Wrote: I had a LN #9 (sold it), after I bought a LV miter shooting plane.  The LV (not the one the OP is selling) is by far the most comfortable shooting plane I've used, beating the LN #9 by a mile.

You know, I opened the Lie Nielson and put it on my shooting board. The tote has such a long wing extending over the span between thumb and index finger it actually made me have to change my standing position. It gave me pause. Forcing me to bend over a tiny bit more. If you have a low bench, this will be something to consider with the LN. (if you are 6' or taller) But after playing with it for a little bit, found a compromise. (don't ask. I'm just going with it. I'll figure details later. lol)

In truth, from the way I plane normally, the Veritas was much more comfortable out of the box compared to the LN. But after adjusting myself to the LN plane, I think I'll be more than happy. (albeit at almost twice the price) It's like LN is trying to teach us how to plane. And I'm all good with that!
I think https://forums.woodnet.net/member.php?ac...uid=127781 was first but only saw the pm's after. Give me a moment to sort this out. I apologize for being a newbie.
Indeed, TraditionalToolWorks was first to reply by 40 minutes plus. Pending completion of transaction, please consider this item sold. When transaction is completed or not, I will update listing.

Regards,
mikemac52
Guys, sorry...was swamped and didn't get back here and just got hit with 4 new tires...I need to pass on this.
Sad

Currently scraping beans to get my septic in before winter hits.

EDIT: I think I need to stay away from here, every time I come over by Woodnet I end up spending money...normally not a problem, but the past few days have been bad on me, no other reasons...
Sad
Alan
Geometry was the most critical/useful mathematics class I had, and it didn't even teach me mathematics.
To be clear, I am interested in this plane. Please see your inbox for a PM accordingly.
Shooting Board Plane. NY Tri-State area