I went to Walmart about 8:30 this morning to buy a car battery.  My wife ran it down the other day and it was 6 years old, had to use battery charger to get it to start.  They tell me at Walmart that they have a battery, I want it installed, they say they are busy and to come back around 2:00.  I ask about an appointment, and they say they don't do appointments for batteries.  

I return before 2:00, still busy rest of day, and tomorrow.  They tell me batteries are first come first serve, but only if they aren't busy.  I asked how to person was to get a battery installed and was told "they do them when they aren't busy".  

I gave up and went somewhere else.  I do less and less auto work these days and didn't want to deal with installing a battery.  Now you have to connect another battery so you don't loose your computer functions.

(10-31-2022, 07:57 PM)toolmiser Wrote: I went to Walmart about 8:30 this morning to buy a car battery.  My wife ran it down the other day and it was 6 years old, had to use battery charger to get it to start.  They tell me at Walmart that they have a battery, I want it installed, they say they are busy and to come back around 2:00.  I ask about an appointment, and they say they don't do appointments for batteries.  

I return before 2:00, still busy rest of day, and tomorrow.  They tell me batteries are first come first serve, but only if they aren't busy.  I asked how to person was to get a battery installed and was told "they do them when they aren't busy".  

I gave up and went somewhere else.  I do less and less auto work these days and didn't want to deal with installing a battery.  Now you have to connect another battery so you don't loose your computer functions.

Walmart has always been a leader in the race to the bottom.

Bottom dollar, and bottom service, because they pay the lowest…

(10-31-2022, 08:08 PM)JDuke Wrote: Walmart has always been a leader in the race to the bottom.

Bottom dollar, and bottom service, because they pay the lowest…

They just finished a major remodel of the local WalMart.  It appears they came up with some space for a 'roomier' feel by discontinuing quite a bit of product.

(11-01-2022, 06:41 AM)KC Wrote: They just finished a major remodel of the local WalMart.  It appears they came up with some space for a 'roomier' feel by discontinuing quite a bit of product.

Last time I needed a battery, I got it at Advance Auto.  I probably paid more for it than a comparable one at Walmart, but I wasn't in a position to wait and they took care of me right away.

My go-to place used to be a garage, about 3 miles from my house, that specialized in rebuilding/replacing starters, alternators and replacing batteries.  It was great because I didn't have to make a trip clear into town.  Usually I would call first, to see how busy they were, then time my arrival accordingly.  Unfortunately, after 40+ years, the place is now closed.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

I used to replace batteries myself and probably still would except for an incident last winter.  I knew my car battery was getting weak after 5 years and having run it dead a few times so I put my jump pack in the car when we left it at the airport for a week.  Sure enough, when we got back it wouldn't start, just a single click.  OK, I've got the jump pack, no problem.  Wrong.  Wouldn't start.  OK, the airport parking guys came around and put their jump pack on it.  Nope.  Then we put jumper cables on it.  Nope.  OK, time to call AAA.  They asked what make/model the car was, and said we'll be there in an hour.  A guy showed up right on time, installed a new battery, and gave me a bill for $185 with more CCA than the OE or most replacements I had looked at, with a 100% free replacement for 1 year, and then a sliding scale for the next several, can't remember.  New batteries for my car cost around $150, so for $35 they came to me and put in a battery at least as good as I could buy on my own.  I think my battery changing days are over, but I'll try to plan better next time.  

John
I get my batteries at Rual King had real good luck with them.  The last 3 that I got from Walmart only lasted 3 years and that was what their warrenty was.  The ones from Rural king have a 5 year warrenty

(11-01-2022, 10:07 AM)fixtureman Wrote: I get my batteries at Rual King had real good luck with them.  The last 3 that I got from Walmart only lasted 3 years and that was what their warrenty was.  The ones from Rural king have a 5 year warrenty

The Walmart battery probably has the same warranty. Both are prorated. I wouldn't doubt they were made by the same manufacturer. I think there's only about 2 or 3 major battery manufacturers in the US. I've had good luck with Walmart batteries. For about 10 bucks more, Auto Zone has free installation for "most" vehicles.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(11-01-2022, 09:17 AM)Bill Wilson Wrote: Last time I needed a battery, I got it at Advance Auto.  I probably paid more for it than a comparable one at Walmart, but I wasn't in a position to wait and they took care of me right away.

Me, too.  I looked around and found that their prices really weren't any different than nearby retailers.  Plus, they installed right then on the spot.  Done in ten minutes.
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")
Why did you go to Walmart.....twice?
If you don’t like HF and love to whine about it by all means do it here. The innerwebz runs on tears. - Sean, 10/27/21
Walmart is only 1/2 mile from my house, much closer that anywhere else. I've only been in that store twice this year. I ended up getting it at Advance Auto. Installer was on his first day on the job. He did hook up a battery pack to the computer, and that is what I was concerned about-loosing my radio stations (joke).

I sent a email to Walmart, but nobody has replied.
trying to buy a car battery at Walmart