The old Panasonic one is dying, so I need a new one.  (I had a Bosch before this one (maybe 25 yrs ago that I liked).

My needs:

Long battery life
I don't need an impact driver (although do they make one the can be turned into an impact driver with a switch on the machine??  That would be interesting to research)

I've seen the video from Project Farm on drill drivers but I'll take any recommendations you've got.  Thanks!

for some context, I'm not a contractor, just a hobbyist WWer, but I don't mind paying for quality.....not Festool prices, but something a little more reasonable.
Dumber than I appear

I would go with the Ridgid. Register it for the LSA and get free batteries for life. My son is a contractor, and all of his tools are Ridgid and registered. There will be some great deals on Black Friday
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
Another vote for Rigid. I have three of them, my "daily driver", an impact drill and a small drill for detail and lighter weight jobs, all cordless. Batteries are strong, warranty among the best and performance is very good. These drills also feel comfortable in my hands.

Doug
  • First, ya gotta decide what you need this drill to do most of the time.  If it's honey dos and assembly work in the shop, a 12v or sub compact will be the ticket.  It'll also be lighter weight and easier to handle.   It you are regularly drilling with a 4" hole saw for dryer or fan ducts, drilling concrete, or old growth joists in 100 year old homes -one of those ain't gonna cut it.  You'll need an 18v and a hammer function.  You pay a weight and handling penalty though.
  • Festool doesn't come anywhere close to making the best drills anymore.  Factor in their prices and they're turds.  If you go 12v , their battery doesn't fit any other tools.
  • Don't think PF has tested 12v sub compacts.
  • If you want a long life battery in 12v I don't think anyone can touch Bosch's 6 Ah offering.  Milwaukee used to have one (or still dose) but it lives in the land of unicorns.
  • I'd strongly suggest you get over to the Depot and Lowes to test drive the players because they all have have very different grips.  Some love the feel of Milwaukee, other hate it. Same with Bosch.  DWalt and Makita seem to be more neutral.
  • Don't think anyone makes a convertible drill/impact.  Several have drills/ hammer drills - even in 12v, but the selection is not as big.  Another thing to bear in mind is the other tool offerings for the brand of drill you chose.  Milwaukee and Makita have tons of other tools that run off of the same battery.  Bosch's 12v , not as many but does have some gems the others don't.  Like a battery hand planer, 5" sander, and their jigsaw is the bees knees. 
Bottom line is - get the one that feels best in your hand from Bosch, Makita, Milwaukee or DWalt and you'll be fine. 

personally I have and use the Bosch 12v with a 6Ah battery most often but I do own a Milwaukee 18v hammer drill + impact driver for the bigger stuff and a subcompact makita 18v hammer drill with 2 Ah batteries because I like their dual fast charger and lawn equipment better than any of the others.
I’ve had Milwaukee M12 lithium powered tools from the day they first released them. I think they’re great and Home Depot should be having some great sales on them soon.
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.

I have the Rigid standard 18 volt, the subcompact 18 volt, the Bosch 12 volt, and have used the Milwaukee 18 volt.  As Cabinet Monkey says, find something that feel comfortable to you.   For 90% of what I do, the Bosch 12 volt, it is light and compact.  The Rigid subcompact is next,  the full sized 18 volt Rigid is a bit heavy in my hand.
I’ve always been a big fan of Makita drills but based on my last one, I can’t recommend them over some others any more. I really like the DeWalt 20v platform. Got a few of those now and they perform great. DeWalt has different levels of quality and features from homeowner to serious contractor so do some research if you go yellow. Milwaukee is another I’d give a hard look. Only red I own is the 12v drill and driver but they’ve been a great replacement to a 12v Makita set.

Don’t overlook the other cordless offerings for whatever platform you decide on. One of the big reasons for my new love of yellow is all the other cordless tools I own now that run on the 20v batteries. Once you’ve invested in a couple of batteries, you can find some great deals on the bare tool offerings.

(11-09-2022, 11:29 PM)ajkoontz Wrote: I’ve always been a big fan of Makita drills but based on my last one, I can’t recommend them over some others any more.

Don’t overlook the other cordless offerings for whatever platform you decide on. One of the big reasons for my new love of yellow is all the other cordless tools I own now that run on the 20v batteries. Once you’ve invested in a couple of batteries, you can find some great deals on the bare tool offerings.

Most people will find it more helpful if you'd elaborate on why makita has fallen out of favor with you.   Just saying " I don't like brand X isn't very useful, even if I know you well.    Comparing a 5 + year old battery tool to a new one isn't really fare either.  Big strides are even made from year to year now.

You are spot on about platform selection, though DeWalt has the smallest offering of the big 3.  Ergonomics of the drill in the user's hand is a better decision point for a hobbyist.
As a hobbyist I'm switching to Rigid as my tools fail. The appeal of lifetime battery replacement is too much to pass up...besides they are nice tools. Now, I realize the LSA replacement process (as well as the registration process) is a bit of a PITA, but it still beats having to buy new batteries.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I've had Bosch 12v drill, driver, angle driver, impact driver and multi-tool, all are good performers. Bought the first drill & driver set used about 10 years ago. I believe those batteries are still in the rotation. Hobby ww'er and honey-do duties. I'm sold on Bosch corded (circular saw, etc) and battery powered hand tools.

Gary
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
Need a new cordless drill...recommendations?